Topic

Volume of SWD Long Haul 35/40 (vs. ULA or HMG)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Volume of SWD Long Haul 35/40 (vs. ULA or HMG)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hi All,

I’m interested in purchasing a Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul 40.

I’d like something substantially smaller than my Circuit (which I will use for winter, family camping, and trips requiring a bear can), but still big enough to accommodate my somewhat bulky hammock gear.

I think a bag with 40 liters is probably perfect (maybe 35 in bag, 5 in extension collar). However, I’m concerned that the SWD is actually larger than 40 liters and too close to my Circuit. The HMG 2400 dimensions (a true 40 liter pack I presume)  are smaller across the board than the SWD.

• Bottom Circ: SWD: 34, HMG: 33.5
    • Top Circ: SWD: 38, HMG: 37.5
    • Unrolled Height: SWD: 34, HMG: 30

Can anyone comment on the true volume of the SWD 35 or 40, compared to ULA or HMG packs?

Thanks!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m not sure if the dimensions of the Windrider 2400 have changed over the years, but mine circa 2013 was tiny – nowhere near 40L. I think HMG packs in general have optimistic volume ratings.

For example, the dimensions of the Hanchor Marl are slightly larger than the Windrider 3400, but the Hanchor is rated at 49L while the HMG is rated at 56L.
    Unrolled: 35.5″ (Marl), 34″ (WR 3400)
    Bottom Circumference: 34″ (Marl), 33.5″ (WR 3400)
    Top Circumference: 40″ (both packs)

You could argue this both ways (is the HMG rated too large or the Hanchor rated too small) but my gut feeling using the 2400 was that it was smaller than rated. It’s a tiny pack. For example, I could fit vastly more gear in my ULA Ohm than my Windrider 2400 – perhaps 50% more. And the circuit is larger than the Ohm.

Just looking at those specs for the SWD that looks pretty reasonable for a 40 – 42L pack to me (assuming they are accurate). I think you’ll find it substantially smaller than your 67L rated Circuit.

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Dan – thanks for that helpful point of reference!

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I have that pack. It strikes me as larger than 40 L. I just took it on an overnighter and this is what I had inside the main pouch. It rolled but was tight. I could have packed it a bit better.

NeoAir XLite
    Western Mountaineering 5 F bag
    Folded up Tyvek footprint, I think 84″ X 36″
    HMG Ultamid
    Small bag of clothes (lightweight puffy, some gloves, extra socks)
    2-3 liter water bottle
    Bag of food for 2 days, pretty heavy and bulky food because why not?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools