Topic

Vitamins

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

For years I drank Emergen-C packets religiously on backpacking trips.   Last few years I’ve just been lazy about it.

I’m thinking about restarting a vitamin supplement when I do the JMT.   What do you guys use?  Centrum? Flintstones?  EmergenC?  Any specific mineral/vitamin I should target for trail life?

My meals typically focus on weight/calorie ratio vs balanced nutrition.  (I.e couscous or Idahoen with lots of olive oil.). So I’m sure I’m missing some vital stuff.

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

I think standard multi-vit is the best choice.  Emergen-C is nice just to have flavored water when you’re tired of plain water.  Best is some fresh wild edible leaves if you can find them or trail-grown sprouts.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

We are supposed to take vitamins? I have never taken them at home of on the trail. A few years ago I did try some energy drinks, once!… filled up all my water bottles with the stuff and then had to poop — opps, no water to wash my hands. Good thing my friend Wisner was around with some extra water :) Anyway the stuff tasted awful, so I went back to plain ol’ water.

Some folks who do multi-month thru-hikes seem to be okay just eating junk food or whatever they can find in gas stations or convenience stores.

I suppose vitamins might be helpful, I have no proof they are not.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools