Topic

Virginia or West Virginia Hikes? Rare chance for me – I’m in Norfolk mid June!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Virginia or West Virginia Hikes? Rare chance for me – I’m in Norfolk mid June!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

WOW this just came up on my radar. I have a *chance* to get to Norfolk VA mid-June for a week.  Just a possibility and I’m doing a rush to make last minute arrangements.

I have no idea what hikes to take for the best scenery and views that I wouldn’t normally get here in flat-er MN. The itinerary can be a single 3 or so night, or  overnighters and drive to the next place. Doesn’t really matter, just like to cram the most into the time I have.

I prefer shorter slower hikes and enjoy the scenery. I’m there for the view and just soaking it up.  I can do 10-15 miles a day to get were I need to but if there’s some hills that should be shorter.

We might be driving on hwy 85 from Atlanta through Greensboro and I can probably jump off anywhere car rental to the trailheads is available.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Dolly Sods West Virginia is supposed to be nice.  I’ve never been as it’s quite a drive for me.

Grayson Highlands is really nice, it’s just over the VA boarder from NC/TN.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would second Grayson. I’ve done the AT through Shenandoah, and it’s nice, but not as nice as Grayson.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Grayson sounds nice, it’s about 2 1/2 hours away if my ride drops me off.  My daughter has day hiked Dolly Sods and really loved the views.

If anyone has suggested links to maps and places along the trails as recommendations that would be cool too.

I’ll be using Gaia if needed, though mostly a written itinerary of where I want to see and camp.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

…addendum: not that I wan’t to limit my trip by drive time unless it interferes with actually spending time on the right trails.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Searching this BPL forum also, previous thread suggestions are more than welcome. I mean no reason to re-write what’s already here. I found this which helps

“Western PA/NW WV backpacking recommendations?”

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

There is a nice 35 mile or so loop in Roanoke called the ‘Triple Crown’.  It includes Macafee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon’s tooth.  It’s about half on the AT, half on the ‘old’ AT.  Great hike, great views.  But if you can do Grayson, it’s also spectacular.  If you are coming out of Greensboro, the Roanoke trip is a touch closer than Grayson, but not by that much.

https://www.visitroanokeva.com/things-to-do/outdoor-adventure/hiking-trails/triple-crown/

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/virginias-triple-crown-loop

-Chris

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

My trip could be 8 nights starting June 19, and fly back to MPLS on June 27.  How does 4 days / 3 nights sound for Roanoke or is that pushing it for a 61 year old, 5-5 and 150 lbs. ?  ?  I should get a half dozen 2 day hikes and at least a couple days bicycling between now and then.

Warm weather I can get my pack down to 25 lbs if not carrying more than a couple liters water.  Maybe less with a good shakedown.
    I could do both if my body can handle the terrain of Roanoke. My ride can drop me in Greensboro,</p>

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I’ve done a bunch of hikes in Grayson Highlands, and I’ve also done the AT past McAffe Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon’s Tooth (but not the old AT part of it to make it a loop).  Both would be fantastic hikes.  Grayson Highlands stays at high elevation (going South) all the way to Buzzard Rock – It’s not a huge area, but there are several trails in the area that you can put in some big day’s and stay at high elevation (where it’s cooler in the summer).   It’s been a while since I’ve done McAffe Knob, but I remember it being lower, more like 3500ft, which could be a bit warmer in June.  Both will be fantastic hikes but will also be full of thru hikers that time of year.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Also, as you probably already know.   McAffee Knob is probably the most photographed point on the AT (besides Springer or Katahdin).    Grayson Highlands is one of the best southern balds in existence.   They will be different hikes, but both fantastic.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Thanks Brad for the info. I never thought I might even have the opportunity to hike anywhere close to the AT. I know nothing about the area or the resources available for trip planning, except what I’m learning since starting this thread. Didn’t know Grayson Highlands existed, or McAffee Knob.

Between now and June I have to figure out what trailhead(s) to start with if I’m going to hit the  get used to better meal planning, and lighten my load. The longest hike has been I think 4 days on Superior Hiking Trail.  Mostly I wander around and find a spot in a MN St. Forest for a night during the shoulder seasons.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Are there other social media portals where hikers get info or discuss current camp areas, over crowding, water supplies, etc. that I might use for planning and also not just be a rookie-pain to the thru hikers? Kinda like to blend in smoothly especially if the area is going to be a little busy.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Whiteblaze.net used to be a good resource.   I’d also recommend getting the ATC guide and map for the area you are going to be in.  It has fantastic information and should be just about everything you need.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

My trip can be as long as 10 days, 11 nights.  I’m stoked and nervous and excited.

I forgot about Whiteblaze.net – used to hang around there a little but didn’t have a lot to contribute. I’ll get the ATC guide.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My brother and I made a loop by hiking the Iron Mountain trail and then linking with the AT through Greyson highlands.  I think it was 55 miles. We used the Nat Geo map to link the trails together with a bit of hiking on dirt roads (I think they were actually closed to cars). It was nice. I think I did a trip report.

Shining Rocks might be too far but its nice.

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

Grayson will be an easier go of it.  Even though it’s the state high point, it starts relatively high at most access points.

The Roanoke trip is a ton of up and down.  That 35 miles, if I’m remembering correctly, is 14000 feet of up and down.  But as mentioned, Macafee is one of the most photographed spots and the views from Dragons Tooth and Tinker cliffs are amazing also.  It also has plenty of bail out points if you get tight on time.  It’s definitely doable in 4 days and 3 nights.  You might even be able to up it to 55 miles in that time period and do a lollipop starting at the Troutville park and ride off I-81.

now that I think about it, that 14k number might be my 55 mile lollipop.   I’ll try and check my watch routes and post back.

-Chris

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Lost contact info: Someone in Roanoke offered to help with logistics, etc and I cannot find the thread message. I had hoped to make backup arrangements if needed.

My whole trip of course depends on how fast we recover from the COVID-19 spread rates and lockdowns.

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

Just seeing this. I’m near Roanoke. Still need any help with logistics?

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Hi Byron. I’ll take a rain check. My whole trip to Florida and then up to Roanoke was cancelled because of the COVID concerns for my family.

Thank you for the offer to help. That was very kind.

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

10-4

Holler any time I can be of help. Beautiful hiking up this way!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools