Topic

VERY light saddle bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring VERY light saddle bags

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I recently commissioned some saddle bags for a guy from Weight Weenies and thought I’d share the results here. The “road version” is 18g and the “rugged version” is still only 33g.

I made them out of 1oz cuben fiber (via Zpacks) and 3.2oz xpac (TX07). It’s just a basic tool roll with an extra wide velcro strap that attaches it to the saddle rails.

You can see the Full Album on imgur but here’s two pictures of the “rugged version” to give you an idea:

Chris Errico
    BPL Member

@chrisxofxfun

These look pretty nice, and you can’t beat the weight! Would you be interested in making a selling a couple more of these?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

sure can!

sending you a PM.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

That is great, however I’ll be concerned about durability: there’s lots of movement in that area, so the bag will end up rubbing and wearing down.

Is probably a good idea to glue a patch made out of thin EVA foam, or something similar, and a helicopter-tape patch on the seatpost too.

On the other hand, the big advantage of using thin fabric, is reducing what is the tool rolls limit: lots of fabric bunching up and making extra-bulk. Using Cuben-fiber seems to address the problem. Nice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools