Topic

Vendor for Small Custom Camera Bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vendor for Small Custom Camera Bag?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Who does small custom gear work for a reasonable price these days?

I want to have a small rectangular bag made to store camera gear.  Basically a rectangular fabric box with zippered lid and some attachment points. I’ll make my own internal padding with some foam, and plan to hang it from my backpack straps.

Zpacks wasn’t interested in custom work.  They actually sell a similar thing (multi-lid), but its smaller than I need.

Zimmerbuilt doesn’t appear interested, based on a lack of response to my query.

Who are the new small time vendors willing to do custom work?

Thanks!

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I’m surprised about Zimmerbuilt – I was going to suggest him. Maybe contact him again in case your email fell through the cracks.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I was going to say Zimmerbuilt too.  I know they don’t normally deal in these type of wares, but you might contact Nunatak.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Try Matt over at Elemental Horizons.  He’s done custom work for me in the past.

Marc Dalessio
    Spectator

@marcdalessio

I wrote to Zimmerbuilt for a custom backpack for landscape painting (actually pretty standard setup) and also didn’t hear back.

I ended up going with KS Ultralight and am happy with the results. He seemed happy to get me what I wanted and was a pleasure to work with. He has similar little square bags that he makes already, and a foam backing, so it might not be much of a reach for him.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Its not custom, but I’ve been using these Sea 2 Summit padded pouches the last few years to hold my mirrorless camera on my pack while backpacking. Somewhat waterproof though if its a heavy downpour I put my camera in a ziplock inside. 1.5 oz. for small size and 2.2 oz. for large size, the weight is pretty good.

The pictures don’t show it, but they have 2 loop attachments on the backside for sliding over a strap like a hipbelt. 2 straps along the sides. And 2 small hole attachment points on the top corners for using a cord. I’ve even used the cloth label on one side to clip to my d-ring.

David M
    Spectator

@david5280

I have had some work done from a company called Native Textiles out of Denver. Reasonable price took only 2 weeks for my custom product. Another good option.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another source for small rectangular zippered bags would be packing by Eagle Creek, Magellans, eBags, etc.

I like to use food storage containers by Lock and Lock and Systema. They have a silicone seal to make them dust and water proof and they are crush/bump resistant. Add a little bubble wrap to suit, or use camera wraps.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for all the comments. Lots of options to investigate!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools