Topic

Velcro vs zipper?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Velcro vs zipper?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I’ve been toying with the idea and not sure how feasible or practical it would be…. I really like the idea of modular options.  For instance a tarp and separate net tent/bivy. The tarp only for no bugs but just needing a cover. Both for bugs and shelter,  or net tent just for bugs but hot no rain type weather.

So my question and thought is possibly a perimeter bug net but having it attached with zipper or velcro?  What about removable doors to a tarp like a diy zpacks pocket tarp or a ray jardine type tarp?

Am I over thinking this or having a pipe dream of modularity?

I’m not opposed to a bivy but I like the idea of being able to sit up or have something quick to setup to get out of the bugs. I HATE mosquitoes and anything that flies around me.

Options and advice welcome!

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Not overthinking it, IMO. If it was me, I’d get a tarp, and net tent. I had that setup and I might go back, but with a more shaped tarp rather than the 9×9 wind catcher I had. I’d skip the perimeter netting. My tarp and net tent weighed just over 16oz.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I have spent many nights in a MLD Duomid with a bug nest when needed. If no bugs, I dropped the nest peak to the ground and just used the nest as a ground cloth. But the past 2 years I have used a Tarptent Aeon_Li. It’s frankly just a lighter, and when buggy, more roomy shelter. The Duo might be better in really severe weather, but I’m a pretty fair weather camper. Only a fully zipped tent with a floor keeps out all the creepy (or fly-y) crawlies, and the more modular you make it, the more weight or chinks in the armor there are. Opening both vestibule sides of the Aeon in nice weather is great, and you can still enjoy a spacious and bug-free interior. I’m pretty impressed with it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I hate bugs. And that includes ants. If you use a headlamp at night to settle in, or to read for any period of time, it serves as a magnet for bugs. And of course mosquitoes are another matter. And then there’s mice…

So, yes, a zippered inner is a good thing. It’s good for condensation issues as well.

there are single wall tents with netting that work too. Not as well for condensation issues.

All of the fiddly configurations involving a tarp and a bivy/perimeter net just seem like more trouble than they’re worth. The downsides always end up being worse than any minimal weight savings.

there are plenty of lightweight double wall tents that can be pitched without the fly, that still keep bugs out. And you can unzip the door for star gazing.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jscott:  Agree.  While velcro has its uses, would not use it for doors to an inner tent for the reasons you stated.   Also, if the door will be subjected to pressure from storms, velcro can fail when saturated.   Don’t even used it to secure rolled up items, like the tent.  Stout shockcord loops are quicker and less fiddly, before the tent goes into its sack.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A problem with Velcro is when the hook part meets the light mesh. You can get a lot of damage there.

I don’t even bother tie up my tent when I have rolled it up. It just goes in its bag. Ah, but it is not a conventional bag, which can be a right pain to get the tent into. It is a custom tent bag, thus:

The rolled-up tent goes in sideways, preserving the tight roll. What normally happens is that I roll the tent up tightly, Sue spreads out the bag or cover, I plonk the rolled-up tent on the cover, and pull up the drawcord. Then I lock up the rim (drawcord) to keep the tent secure.

Cheers

Bob Chiang
    BPL Member

@bobchiang

Roger,

that’s a clever stuff sack system. Kind of like a rope bag.

YouTube video

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I assumed as much with velcro,  wasn’t going to use for a door but maybe perimeter netting but even then I questioned it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Actually I’ve never had velcro only closures on a tent so I don’t know how it works. I HAVE had #3 zipper failures on a tent door. There can be a lot of tension on those doors depending on the design of the tent. I always have wondered if velcro wouldn’t be better. In any case I like #5 zippers for sure for a tent.

Rogers tent bag is great!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I also had a #3 zipper on a tent, it failed, I replaced it with #5

Perimeter bug net – you could just have velcro at the corners

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Both my summer and winter tunnel tents use #3 zippers on the doors. I have never had a failure, but I take some care with them. Very little velcro on the tents though.

Yeah, tent bag is a bit like, but I am sure it is a whole lot lighter! :)

Cheers

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

I’m not sure if I’m understanding perimeter bug net, but I have an MLD Doumid with the netting attached to the edges that was called a perimeter bug net.  I think that removing that with velcro would be a major pain in the ass, so I would just permanently attach it.

I’m not opposed to a bivy but I like the idea of being able to sit up or have something quick to setup to get out of the bugs. I HATE mosquitoes and anything that flies around me.

I think my system is a bit like yours.  I use a Doumid with a perimeter net.  The perimeter net option allows me to use the entire floor space of the Doumid, as opposed to the smaller net tent. Instead of the net tent, I use a bivy.

For most days, the idea is to use the bivy only for easy setup and take down.  For cold/windy/buggy I setup the Doumid, and use the bivy inside it for drip/through if its raining or need extra bug protection.

This is good “In Theory”.  “In Practice”, I’m having a hard time dealing with condensation in my bivy (I was going to start my own thread about this), so I haven’t gotten it all figured out yet.  But, I think velcro would be a pain in the ass, and I would go with things that are just permanently attached.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

““In Practice”, I’m having a hard time dealing with condensation in my bivy…”

This is ONE example of what I meant by “the downsides outweigh the upsides” in my earlier post.

“But, I think velcro would be a pain in the ass…” And this is an example of “fiddly”.

To me, in the wilds, simple and dependable tents are a good thing. And that includes easy bug and condensation protection. (And of course, storm worthiness etc.). 3-4 extra ounces for a set up that is all of this and more is well worth it.

I’ll stipulate that I find hanging out in a bivy for bug protection to be horrible. Sometimes mosquitoes are so bad they drive me into my tent in the late afternoon. Tents with netting provide a bit of headroom and maneuverability. And ‘a bit’ makes all the difference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools