Topic

Vargo Titanium Water Bottle Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Vargo Titanium Water Bottle Review

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

this is clearly a niche product.
    Niche, or street glamour?
    Cheers

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Hi Shelley C, sorry that I missed your Oct. 18 post question.

The small Kraft parmesan cheese jar holds 2 cups of water, and the larger jar likely will hold twice that amount (Costco sells the larger jar). The lid that comes with the 16.3 oz. Skippy peanut butter jar fits both of those parmesan containers. I think that this is a standard screw-on lid size.

The parmesan jars are every bit as strong as the Gatorade bottles, and I haven’t seen any other lightweight bottles that compare to them.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Shelley, yesterday I took my last Costco Kraft parmesan jar and vacuum-sealed portions that will be used to re-fill my smaller Kraft container. After cleaning the big jar, removing the label, and getting the label glue off with contractor’s solvent then washing/drying the container, I placed a Skippy peanut butter lid on it then weighed everything. It came in at 57 grams, or 2.0 oz. – pretty good for a container that holds 5.5 cups of water . For some reason I thought you would want to know…

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Do we know the carbon impact of titanium production?  I have heard talks that put the Bessemer process used for the production of steel very high on the list of industrial sources of greenhouse gases.  BTW I am still using plastic Nalgene bottles I bought in 2005.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

Not so much in the backpacking crowd, but in the EDC crowd, some people just geek out for titanium. It’s their money, and gadgets are neat, so what’s the harm? I think some people who shout ‘virtue signaling!’ the loudest are just meta-virtue-signaling to show they’re above that sort of thing. But whatever’s clever. My hesitation over these Vargos would be more can-I-bang-it-on-a-rock-and-accidentally-lock-it-shut, and whether or not it’s easy to open.

I use nalgene bottles, they’re heavier than is popular these days. but basically bombproof and – where on earth would I put all my cool stickers if I used a metal bottle that sweated condensation? Over the years I think I’ve collected six or seven different water containers, with two stainless steel bottles for when/if I may need to boil for whatever reason, along with three different little kettles. Cause tea is great! Everybody’s some stuff in the gear closet that doesn’t get out much.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

I already have a collection of bottles ranging from cycling, to nalgine, to smart water, so for me this would be creating plastic trash in order to not use plastic.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools