Topic

Using the inReach Mini with iPhone without a phone plan?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Using the inReach Mini with iPhone without a phone plan?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I’m not a cell phone user but a friend of mine gave me his “old” iPhone 5s. I have little desire to get connected for the use of talking (am I an odd ball or what!?).

That said, I am considering replacing my ACR ResQLink with the inReach Mini… just for purpose of being able to send and receive emergency texts during trips other than backpacking (solo cycle tours in remote areas where mechanical failure could mean the difference between having someone picking me up or walking 50 miles through the desert).

Giving my lack of desire to use the phone in a manner outside of emergency texts, I don’t want to sign up for a phone contract if I don’t have to. Can the iPhone 5s be used in conjunction with the inReach Mini to send and receive texts without my having to get a phone plan?

Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

iPod user here – like a iPhone but specifically without “voice-to-voice” communications. Just a standalone device that runs apps.  Like Earthmate (free) for the inReach series.  I have it installed, it works great with my SE, and doesn’t care that there isn’t a service subscription in place.

The texting all takes place through the inReach infrastructure.  The iPhone is just a better interface.

If, later, you want to buy apps you will need an apple account, also free, aside from the associated BS.

You’re good to go.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Do know that you’ll need to install Earthmate on your device, as the Mini will only text through your phone via that program, I think (someone correct me if I’m wrong). And I think you’ll have to go through the iOS App store in order to install it (unless the device is jailbroken).

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thank you, Greg and Doug!

Greg – What’s an “SE”?

Doug – When you say I may “have to go through the iOS App store in order to install it”… is that a bad thing? Costly?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The SE is the older style Delorme inReach.  The SE, SE+ and Explorer all have the same physical design –

“App Store” for iOS is how apple controls access to APPlications, both free (Earthmate), and paid.  You need to set up an account for your iPhone linking you, as owner, to its serial number. It just takes time, a password, serial numbers, and stuff.   I don’t remember if you initially have to provide a “payment mode” – credit card or something else. You do need WiFi access. It’s free to set up.

If you are new to this (I was) find a helping hand.  It will spare you a lot of frustration. Anyone running an iPhone knows the drill.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Can you do it all with a wifi connection rather than a cell phone connection, which would mean you wouldn’t have to be paying for cell phone service

Of course, the only way to answer definitively is to actually try it : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“When you say I may “have to go through the iOS App store in order to install it”… is that a bad thing? Costly?”

Not at all. It’s free. Greg gives a good lowdown in his subsequent post.

Can you do it all with a wifi connection rather than a cell phone connection, which would mean you wouldn’t have to be paying for cell phone service

Yes.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Excellent! Thank you all for the helpful info. Great community here! Now if I could just find a good deal on the inReach Mini, I’d be in like Flynn!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

There are deals to be had on bigger and heavier SE and SE+, and they will get better as time goes on.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I just got a new inReach Mini.   I think I have most of it figured out, feel free to post with any questions on operation.   Field test in a few days at the Grand Canyon.

The inReach can do much more than SPOT, but it has rechargeable batters with limited life, so unless you carry a solar charger when the batteries are drained you are done.  So you do need to think carefully about your usage priorities.   For narrow emergency purposes the SPOT still has advantages – the AAA batteries last for 10 days even in tracking mode, and you can bring a spare set.   But of course with the inReach you can actually tell the emergency services exactly where you are rather than relying on GPS, and you can establish two-way communication.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Deals on the InReach Mini are hard to find.   I think Garmin tries to prevent discounting.   Your best bet is to hunt around for places that have X% of any full price item, and check if they have forgotten to exclude it.   I found one on Cyber Monday and got $50 off, but it’s gone now.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I bought my Mini from Dick’s Sporting Goods online on Black Friday – they had a 25% off sitewide deal. Maybe check them again around Christmas or New Year’s.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks for the additional info, guys! I see it mentioned that one “pairs” the Mini “via Bluetooth” for apps such as Earthmate. I’ve heard of Bluetooth but haven’t a clue what it is. What the heck is it and is it something else I have to buy and or learn?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Bluetooth is a communication protocol – your iPhone is equipped with it, as is the Mini. If you go into settings you’ll see a menu item for Bluetooth, just ensure it’s on. Same with the Mini.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Bluetooth is short range wireless, used to connect devices that are close together.   It’s hardware that comes integrated into most devices now, it’s not something you usually buy separately.

When you first use it, you need to “pair” the devices.   Switch Bluetooth on in both devices, and you should see the other device appear, then you just say okay – this is something I want to connect to.   You only have to “pair” like this the first time, from then on if Bluetooth is switched on for both devices they will find each other.

Bluetooth uses power.   It looks like it automatically switches off on the Inreach after a while if you are not using it, although I can’t find a setting for that.   Your phone or iPod will not automatically switch Bluetooth off.

Check out the Wikipedia article for where the name Bluetooth came from, it’s a nice story.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

All you guys are awesome! Thanks again for helping out this Luddite!

… the guy who misses rotary phones, windows with cranks, and wing vents.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“windows with cranks”

I often open my window and shout “get off of my lawn!!” So you could say I’ve got windows with a crank.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“So you could say I’ve got windows with a crank.”

Or you could say a Crank in a window……

;)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

:-)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

If I got the Mini, I’d definitely do a monthly deal.

Given my flexibility, I often times come up with trips on the spur of the moment. Is the Mini owner just a few computer clicks away from being able to activate it… or is it something more involved and complicated?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools