Topic

Using a Prolite to gain head room in Hexamid or Aeon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Using a Prolite to gain head room in Hexamid or Aeon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

Does anyone use a thermarest prolite to gain head room in an SUL shelter or tent. I have one. Weighed it at 19 oz. My Xlite large with stuff sack weighs the same. Way more comfy but puts me closer to the walls.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use a prolite

Comfortable enough.  Closed cell foam pads are not.

You’re only a couple inches lower than thick pads though.  Wouldn’t make that much difference.  Still, a little bit can be helpful.

Don’t put your hand on the pad with all your weight on it.  I think that’s caused a couple of my pads to delaminate.  My last pad I’ve been careful not to do that and it’s lasted better.  Also, I think they changed the construction to reduce delamination so maybe that’s why my last pad has lasted longer.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks Jerry. I’ve got the red/orange old valve. Used it one time and slept great. Comfy campsite tho. No rocks or snags.</p>

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The general concept sounds weight inefficient, in the sense that you’re switching to a substantially heavier pad to only partially resolve a con that could be resolved more completely and with less weight addition by going to a shelter that offers the headroom you’re missing. My guess is that an extra ~1″ of headroom is not a win compared to the loss in comfort and 7oz gain in weight versus using your ~12oz X-Lite.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

Thanks Dan. My thoughts exactly. You are spot on as usual. If you said heck yes I’d try it for sure.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I use a prolite in my Pocket Tarp. I’m 5’3″ and feel that there isn’t a lot of room in there. I can’t really sit up without hitting my head against the wall. There’s plenty of room for me lying down though. It’s good to be short.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

Hey Diane, thanks for that bit. I’m 5’9 ish and bought the Prolite to use in my Ti Goat bug bivy which is too tight for a 2.5 inch Xlite and me, combined with my Pocket Tarp which was really tight with me and an Xlite and decent bag. In a fit of guilt and stupidity, I dumped the Pocket Tarp. I still have the Ti Goat bug bivy (never used) and the Prelate. One of these days I need to go out and try it. I actually sleep great on a Prolite if the ground is smooth. I grew up mountain climbing with 1/4 blue foam pads as deluxe comfort on snow. I was tough back then. I’m not tough anymore.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

O..and I forgot to mention, Dan, that the Xlite Large (new valve) I’m using combined with the blow up stuff sack weighs exactly the same as the Prolite. I checked before writing this. So I’m not saving a gram using the Xlite versus the Prolite. The kicker is if the ground is rocky or rooted I’m screwed on the Prolite. But you know that.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Agree with Jerry. Prolite for me. Comfortable enough.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

Thanks John, I may give it another shot this weekend with a grandkid outing. Love the bombproof simplicity and don’t have to pack an air bag.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools