Topic

Ursack Major Rodent Breech

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack Major Rodent Breech

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

next post has details …

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Loosely packed, hanging, but not far enough from another branch –

Until the introduction of the “AllMitey” the “Major” was touted as rodent-proof.  Now the response is “Unfortunately, only our AllMitey protects against both bears and critters.  We can give you a 35% discount on an ursack purchase if that helps ease the pain.”

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Are you sure? I thought only the Ursack Minor was advertised as rodent proof (prior to the AllMitey). Minor for rodents, Major for bears.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

They change the verbage as needed –

From the (2013 FAQ)  Ursack Minor Product Catalog –

“We’ve tested the Ursack Minor with various critters including mice and dogs, and although it came through unscathed, we rely more on the technical specifications to know that it works.”

Midway down the FAQ –
    “We now make a rodent resistant bag, the Ursack Minor. It is not effective against bears although we think it is more effective against rodents than the AllWhite. Other rodents have varying degrees of success. Sometimes mice can chew very small holes, but very little of your food is likely to be taken.” [Emphasis added.]

Perhaps they tout their current “Minor” as critter-proof.  I obviously can’t keep up the copy editors.

Buyer Beware.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Did you have it sitting on the ground or tied up in a tree? I usually have mine tied to a tree trunk or branch, so if that’s where it happened I might need to modify my procedures a bit.

My bad, I re-read your post and see you had it hanging, like I do. Hmmmm.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So what will you do Greg? Canister?, ouch   Metal mesh bag? Use the Ursack liner?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

On a possible Sierra trip it will be the required canister. For a Grand Canyon trip it will be a RatSack/OutSack (can’t remember which) x2. For another Winds trip? I don’t know …

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

They have changed the material for these bags a number of times.  My favorite was a green material which looked like a thicker version of Spectra.  I used it for hung caches, along with one opsack inside another to kill odors.  They usually were hung for a week or so, and up high away from any nearby branches.

But the cache was much too heavy to carry packing.  So I still use a cut down version of one of their kevlar bags hung up just for overnight.  My food is all dehydrated or powdered stuff, except for the energy bars consumed at mid-day, and there is a liner bag inside the Ursack, but would not ever hang it close to a branch or the tree proper.   The instructors in the service used to remind us that all protective measures at best just slow invaders down, but can not be counted upon to stop them.

This was underscored by one of my Shelties when she was a puppy.  Quite a chewer, so she had a leash collar fashioned from webbing made of 4 layers of kevlar fabric from an Ursack, sewn together with multiple seams of Kevlar thread.   In less than an hour’s drive alone with the other pup in the back seat of the car, she chewed it apart, and was free as a bird when we got to the former Cohos Trail HQ in Pittsburg NH.

So I depend on the cut down Ursack just as another layer of security, and hang it as inaccessibly as I did the nylon bags of yore.  OK, a few times when exhausted, just closed it with an alloy cordlock on the very stout cord, and attached it to a notch in a deadfall in the manner then recommended by Ursack.

Have never had an Ursack food bag invaded, but then again, have not packed in heavily populated bear areas, which are usually one and the same as heavily populated camper areas, since my visitation long ago by two grizzlies in the Canadian rockies.  It is nice that they test their products – guess they have to – but gave up relying on marketing representations long ago.   In this era of scams and charlatans, marketers deserve less reliance than ever before.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

The mixed up language needs clarification. Kind of disheartening to hear that 35% off is the best they’re willing to do for you.

But to your other thought, I have had 0 rodent breeches on my Outsack. It’s surprisingly light considering metal mesh design. Only down side is the limited size.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Greg – curious if you were camping in a heavily used site. And how far up the tree and away from the trunk did you hang the Ursack? Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve only had rodent problems at designated sites that see frequent use.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Jacob, I posted about a relatively easy mod (requiring a material purchase, though) to enlarge the Outsack in 2013. I’m not able to post the link at the moment, but a search will turn it up if you’re interested.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!