Topic

Upgraded by TarpTent and some lightweight clip options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Upgraded by TarpTent and some lightweight clip options

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

In January, I was shifting my gear around in my tent due to the sleet coming down outside, and I must have put just a little bit of tension on the side wall of the TarpTent Notch, because  I heard a snap and the internal tent came down on top of me. Using my headlamp, I realized it was the clip that held the tent internals to the rain fly at the trekking pole support point. Thinking quickly, I grabbed my small roll of duct tape and made myself some duct tape rope by twisting it and then tied a knot to keep the tent up. It has held up just fine for the last 8 trips, but it’s time to make the fix permanent. (The duct tape emergency solution was 3g FWIW)

I’ve been looking for alternate solutions because the plastic clips were sewn into the tent, so if one breaks, you can’t just replace it.

You can see it’s a very flimsy clip. But it’s lightweight…so I guess you have to expect some compromises.

I ordered new clips from Z-Packs and others including Dutchware to test out.

The mitten clips don’t even register on my scale, so they must be less than 0.5g. These can be used because they have clips on both ends so they can clip into the sewn in loops. However, I have concerns about their strength due to the previous plastic part failure. It doesn’t take much to shift in the tent and pull tension on that support point.

I looked at the Z-Packs plastic clip in case I wanted to find a way to sew it back into the tent. These  are sturdier looking and weigh 1g, the same as  the ones that came with the TarpTent.

So, I decided to install the Dutchware titanium micro double biners. At 3g each, they are 2g heavier per side for a total of 4g heavier. I think I can live with that! :D They look very solid and can easily be added to tent without modification.

You can see my fix here:

This is what the side that didn’t break looks like:

The two ends of the tent have these same clips, however these do not see much if any tension on them, so they appear to be holding up just fine.

Here’s the final result:

Now, I may be the only person who’s ever had this problem…but when I look at these clips and the clips that hold the vestibule sides together at the guyline, I just see parts that are weak and likely to fail. I’m all about saving weight and money, but I do think there are other alternatives that are only slightly more expensive, and inconsequential in weight addition.

Here is the point of connection for the vestibule to the guyline tie out. It feels and looks super fragile and worries me every time I use it even though it has held up fine so far.

And here is how Z-Packs handles this connection point. This definitely looks stronger to me.

Any ideas how I can replace this clip with something a bit sturdier? Since these plastic clips are sewn in, I’m in a similar situation as I was above connecting the inside of the shelter to the fly.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Sorry, the s-biners are SS, not Ti:

Size #.5 Dimensions: 1.31″ x 0.48″ x 0.22″

Weight: 0.11oz / 3.00g

Weight rating: 3 lb.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Apparently Dutchware sells metal mitten hooks which IMO would be a much better option vs. the plastic ones. And they are only 2g each with a strength rating of 30lb load.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/metal-mitten-hooks-single.html

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I would suggest to use the plastic clips/mitten hook, but also use a small loop of shock cord. Simply tie the shock cord through the sewn in loop in the tent with the mitten hook. This will allow some give when under tension, which is a good thing because if something is going to fail it’s better that those mitten hooks fail than the mesh or tent tears. With those metal biners, if it happens again it’s going to rip some material since the biner won’t break apart to release tension. If you feel you will break another one simply add another mitten hook and short length of shock cord to your dirty bag for repairs.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

That’s not a bad idea…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Zack,

that should not happen but TT would be happy to replace them at no charge.

Those black “plastic” bits you see in your Tarptent (all models…) are made with Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde ,known also as Delrin, the Dupont name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

They are not exclusive to us nor to outdoor manufacturers.

Commonly used by the DIY brigade because suppliers like  Seattle Fabrics sell them individually.

(http://www.seattlefabrics.com/snap%20hooks.html)

We have been using them since the start so 15 or so years, however you are not the first to report that, I have seen one other user posting similar comments on a British forum.

At this stage I don’t know out of the tens of thousands we send out every year how many have failed.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Hi Franco,

I appreciate the offer. I’ll think about it and get back to you. For now, it’s working just fine and doesn’t bother me at all. I kind of like the idea of a small bit of shock cord that can stretch if I accidentally move and put too much tension on the attachment point. That would also make the plastic clips replaceable if need be.

To be honest, it makes perfect sense that some of these would fail. It could be either a defect in manufacturing, or in the plastic material itself. It’s impossible for a company to ensure 100% production quality. In no way do I fault TarpTent.

I try to be fairly tender with my gear, so I was a little bit surprised, but I was able to get it fixed up with no issue. It has been an excellent tent and a great purchase.

I might consider doing something like a short shock cord with the metal version of the mitten clip. Or I may just keep the s-biners in there since they seem to be just fine and I don’t expect to put enough force on the tent to tear the fabric.

The four corner attachment mitten hooks are probably just fine honestly. They shouldn’t see any real wear and tear.

If I ever did want to send the tent back to replace the clips, would you be able to un-stitch and re-stitch the fabric loop, or did you have another approach in mind?

I did send the photos with a note to Henry at Tarptent, attached to a previous communication just for your info. I’m not dissatisfied at all, but I appreciate you responding and offering to work with me on it.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

“I’ve been looking for alternate solutions because the plastic clips were sewn into the tent, so if one breaks, you can’t just replace it.”

“These can be used because they have clips on both ends so they can clip into the sewn in loops.”

Loop to loop connection using the loop of the mitten hook & the sewn in closed loop of stretch cord. Just a simple girth hitch, but the business end of the mitten hook is routed rather than the stretch ribbon since you don’t have a standing end. [need to find an illustration]

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/72525/

Zack,

If this link works it will show you how to connect a new mitten hook* using a zip tie.

A 4″ long zip tie (black from home depot) weighs almost nothing and when secured in this way is quite strong and durable.

*The part of “mitten hook” is played by “buckle” in the linked post.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Daryl, that’s cool. Makes sense…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools