Topic

Update on Scarp 2 weather capability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Update on Scarp 2 weather capability?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    alex H
    Spectator

@al_harri

Hi, I’m in the market for a new tent and the Scarp 2 is looking to tick a lot of boxes. I camp mainly in england and scotland so want a pretty rugged tent for all year use. I know the scarp 2 has undergone some mods over the years and wondered how it performs now? Does anyone know what wind speeds they have used it in? My only concern is that it is bigger than the scarp 1 and so the outer fly flaps  around alot. Obviously correctly guying out the tent will help. Just wondered if any Scarp 2 owners can pitch in with experiences as most the reviews are now a little dated now. Thanks in advance!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If by ‘Scarp2’ you mean one with the larger fly, I found the three vertical struts on the end of  each side did not hold the canopy securely in place; but see that they have now been replaced with triangles at the corners.  Better, but there is still the issue of stability, and I’ve not tried the most recent versions, so can’t comment on rigidity.   Also, the space is on the small side for cold weather camping, when there is a lot more stuff to find a place to stow somewhere in the tent.  Lastly, could not get used to the external roof reinforcement poles, and the way they bow well above the canopy, held only by tapes without pole sleeves; but that may be more a matter of personal aesthetics.  Not sure.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I used ours a lot with no inner. Just the fly. I only needed the crossing poles once or twice in winds. It was winte storms but nominal snowfall. They worked well I thought. It is weird having them on the outside but it really pulled the fly outward and not only was it more rigid, but bigger. Of course the was with no inner. I liked the scarp a lot but I used it for years and let my zippers go to schnit.

alex H
    Spectator

@al_harri

I was unsure about the poles on the outside but i guess its more convenient to switch between 3 and 4 season mode. I’ve considered modding it to put the poles under the fly (like I’ve seen others do) but not sure if it will make that bigger difference.

@Jeffs
    what made the zips give way? Too much tension? Would some of theses mods been useful in reducing strain on the zips ( https://www.google.com/amp/s/blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/scarp-mods-summary-part-1-major-mods/amp/)

Zipper tension relief

Thanks for your input guys. I’ve just bought a second hand scarp 2 so I’m looking a little more in to what conditions it can comfortably handle and how I might improve its resilience/longevity.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look on the “Winter Hiking” forum for  “My Winterized SCARP 2” photos of how I took the  SCARP 2’s two optional Crossing Poles, shortened them and ran them under the fly for much greater snow load and wind load stability.

My SCARP 2 has been “winterized”

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yes I think I kept too much tension. A string would probably work. I think a few times I’d put a stake to hold the pole tip to the side. I would scoot the pole tip towards the door and used the clip but in the wind I think it put too much pressure on it. I need to say that I used the tent quite a bit and also probably left them too dirty for too long.
    I wish the zippers were just bigger but I mentioned it to Henry and he disagreed. I’ll default to him since, you know… he makes tents for a living and I’m just some dude.
    I loved that tent- almost exclusively used it shell only. I’m not even sure where the inner is. If he sold just the shell I’d buy another. (Just ordered a CB3 though- yeah!!)

alex H
    Spectator

@al_harri

@eric I read alot about your “winterized scarp” it looks brilliant :O I’m a little scared to make the mods myself incase I break the tent. I’m not that good at crafty things ^^. Do you have a handle on how much it improved the performance moving the poles to the inside? I think I’m going to use the scarp as is for a while (maybe add in a simple pole tensioning mod) and see how i get on. Once i start doing more winter summit camps I might start by upgrading the main arch pole like you did then if it still needs to be beefier I might try the cross poles inside (if i dare).

@Jeffs
    glad you like the tent. I’m sure I’ll love it too. Thanks for the tips about the zipps i hadnt thought about the strain on them so ill try add in a mod to help them last. It’s a little wet and cold in england for the shell only I think, but it may be my go to srt up on a nice summers day!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

alex,

**You can get away with using the X-ing poles externally as designed IF you utilize all the guy lines, side and ends. Using end guys in conjunction with your shortened hiking poles will help. (Be sure you set up the SCARP 2 at home to get this right and color code the guy lines, sides one color, ends another color.)

Putting the X-ing poles under the fly was a “science project’ in that it involved the following:

1.) removing the grommeted webbing pole sockets from the outside and sewing them just above the  inside peaks of the “PitchLoc” carbon fiber corner rods. (Far greater strength by doing this as the pressure is on a triangular structure.)

2.) sewing short double sided Velcro cable ties to the inside of the fly where the outside X-ing pole attatchments were and seam sealing them

3.). cutting the X-ing poles shorter by 6 ” with a small pipe cutter (and breaking the surplus pole sections with pliers to remove them)

THAT’S IT

I bought a heavier main hoop pole from Tentpole Technologies for winter use BUT now Tarptent includes a stronger pole so that is unnecessary for you.

Be sure to make up ALL the guy lines with plastic or aluminum tensioners and carry the lines even when not taking the X-ing poles. They are very necessary in high winds, as is staking does the fly hem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools