Topic

Upcoming “Ultralight Shelters” live symposium (Oct. 7)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Upcoming “Ultralight Shelters” live symposium (Oct. 7)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

In advance of this event I’d like to ask here, “What do YOU consider an ultralight shelter?”

For me it has been, in chronological order: 1. Tarptent Contrail 2.) TT Moment 3.)TT Moment DW 4. TT Notch Li

So I went from light to lighter to heavier to UL. Only the first two were single wall. #3 is my winter solo tent. To me that’s “winter UL”. Yeah, I could use the Notch Li for winter because I added 4 stake loops to the fly hem and the tent has several guy-out points and a “solid” inner tent. But it would not be as secure as the TT Moment DW with X-ing pole run under the fly, as I have done.

Christopher Yi
    BPL Member

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I went through a similar transition. MSR Hubba, TT Scarp, TT Moment single wall, BA Copper Spur UL1, Zpacks Hexamid, and finally a TT ProTrail Li. I’m eventually going to add 2 additional hem loops on each side like you have, but I was looking at the MLD Loop Superkit. Might be overkill though.

I ultimately decided on the ProTrail Li by considering what I really needed in a shelter and not “packing my fears.” I’m a fair weather, three season hiker 99% of the time so I really only needed protection from bugs and occasional pop up storm/rain clouds in the Sierra Nevada, good interior space, and ease of setup. I got tired of trying to pitch a Hexamid perfectly taut, along with the footprint required due to the guy lines.

I’d consider ultralight around 24 oz and under. I was looking at tarp and bivy options before the ProTrail Li, and realistically they would be only 2-3 oz lighter  (flat or cat tarp/bivy) or sometimes heavier  (Yama Ciriform/bug shelter, granted, that would be a DW setup) than a ProTrail Li.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!