Topic

Up; An Ike and Lu adventure through the Smokey Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Up; An Ike and Lu adventure through the Smokey Mountains

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Companion forum thread to: Up; An Ike and Lu adventure through the Smokey Mountains

This one details Lu’s first ultralight backpacking experience on an approximately 45 mile loop…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thank you – that was a great trip report…the perfect mix of photos and narrative.  I’m guessing she had the UL pack and that you carried the food and non-water beverages.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for posting this trip report. It was fun to read about your friendship and the trails are gorgeous. They are so lush and green compared to most of the trails I spend time on.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Excellent trip report, Ike! What a wonderful thing to find a partner with a similar love for adventure. Photos and narrative were captivating, as usual. I look forward to reading more Ike and Lu Adventures!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Great report Ike and quite a intro for Lu.  I have hiked most of those trails.

One tiny editorial comment- it is Smoky and Smokies instead of Smokey and Smokeys.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Ike,

Great trip report!  Lu is definitely a keeper!  Did I read right that you did 25 mile days on this trip?

As a fellow Michigander:  When are you taking her to Pictured Rocks?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Your “old man’s beard” is on point! Good stuff, man. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Oh, by the way, camping in the backcountry of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is only permitted in designated campsites and requires a permit. Thank you.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks guys, and thank you Mark for the important clarification. We had backcountry permits and a reasonable itinerary for our abilities. Unfortunately, Lu got sick on the second afternoon and was unable to continue to our designated campsite at the Kephart shelter.

Jeff, it’s been a while since that trip, but if I remember correctly, our itinerary had called for about 18 miles day 1, 25 day two, and 7 or 8 on the departure day. We ended up falling short on day two by a couple miles. As you may know, I’m pretty partial to Pictured Rocks in winter, and have been hoping to talk Lu into seeing the ice formations with me in February.

Ike

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

There are just a few places in the Smokies with great ridge views. You found one: Charlie’s Bunion. The creeks really steal the show in the Smokies though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools