Topic

Unused cat holes–leave unfilled?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Unused cat holes–leave unfilled?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

OK, I might get flack for this, let’s see. I had the unusual experience on my hike last week in Yosemite of first, not having to poop the first full day on the trail. Woo hoo!

Then, on the second and fourth days, when I thought I heard the call of nature and dug a cat hole…the call faded into silence.

Since I always hike a fair ways off trail to employ my potty trowel, I decided to leave the dug holes unfilled in case another hiker came across them looking for a place to dig.

What do you think? Better to fill them back in?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Perhaps rather unlikely that someone else would stumble across them?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

C’mon Doug, you can do better than that crappy advice.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Fill them in please so no one knows you were there.

thx!

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Yeah, I guess it’s possible someone would come across them and not be looking to dig a hole. Maybe wandering off trail to camp far from the trail.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

This is a fairly small issue when all is factored in, but the spirit of LNT tells me you should fill it in.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Have a coffee and a smoke and the answer will come to you.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Fill it in, because (1) if you’ve chosen a good spot it’s unlikely anyone else will find the same spot anytime soon, and (2) the first rain is going to wash down or pack the dirt you’ve pulled out, making it hard to use to bury the new organics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools