Topic

Unpacked: When Gear Owns You

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Unpacked: When Gear Owns You

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

A recent multi-sport adventure got BPL columnist Mark Wetherington thinking about gear and our relationship to it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thoreau’s chapter Economy in his book Walden deals with a lot of this. Every major religion has something to say about materialism too. https://reddit.com/r/minimalism/ is an interesting read now and then as well, with folk who aret rying to get some control over stuff.

I’ve definitely found that most hobbies are a rabbit hole for acquiring a lot more stuff.

I bought a teardrop trailer this summer and yes indeed, even such a minimalist RV invites all kinds of add on’s, like chairs, shade canopies, a whole new kitchen setup, etc, etc, etc.

Fishing, photography, cycling and skiing can all rob your wallet and fill your basement.

I call the disease TMS, the polite form being Too Much Stuff.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I bought a teardrop trailer this summer and yes indeed, even such a minimalist RV invites all kinds of add on’s, like chairs, shade canopies …”

I’ve got an old aluminized cuben tarp that someone made for me years ago that I have no use for. It could make a nice additional shade canopy, if you want it you can have it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Thanks so much, but I have that “covered”. I was at REI and found a nice Kelty canopy at a bargain price.

I resisted, but it allows cooking and dining in the rain. My objection is as much the fiddle factor as just managing the stuff.

I watched others in campgrounds roll up with massive RV’s and then drag out patio level furniture, CARPETS, dog runs, etc. The ultimate was a woman hollering to her husband, “Bob, the blender won’t work!” My God, just drink the Tequila in neat shots!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“My God, just drink the Tequila in neat shots!”

The solution to so many of life’s minor problems :)

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

“My God, just drink the Tequila in neat shots!”

The solution to so many of life’s minor problems :)

I suppose drinking the Tequila straight out of the bottle would be the ultimate minimalist approach : )

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

And if the flask is carried in your pocket it doesn’t count as pack base weight!

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Thank you for the timely article Mark. Everything we own owns a piece of us. I’m still laughing at your stove comparison as I was actually just making decisions for an upcoming trip: Use a canister top BRS3000 with a Moulder strip….. or…. use Roger’s V4 remote canister beauty. I already sold my Kovia Spider, but I can cut some grams with alcohol or esbit. Oh the endless possibilities! I think the V4 wins!

I’m pretty sure I compensate for not being able to get out as often as I would like by purchasing new things and dreaming of getting out. A poor substitute. Maybe it’s time to flip the tables!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Starting to look at bikepacking and car camping, …. I’d like to stay with existing gear if solo, as I don’t currently “hang out” inside a car-camping tent.  So current looking at fly and inner net systems where the fly is available in both ultralight dyneema 0.5 for backpacking and UV resistant silpoly to leave up during the day if car-camping (or anything similar).   That’s solo of course.   My sleep system can stay the same, but my cooking system could use a size upgrade (have some “camping dishware” too to add, though got to think about cleaning it vs. backpacking where I eat direct from pot).  As can more lighting hygiene and even camp clothes.  I have a large black plastic box with secured lid I can store it all in (food separately).

Think if car camping with a significant other, I’d want a 3 or 4 person shelter with more features.   If leaving it up during the day while away, I’d also want it cheap as campsite pilfering gets to be a problem.  Still would keep my “core” additional cooking, lighting, hygiene, etc.. stuff in the same plastic bin.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I think I’ve found my mantra for 2021, right here on this thread. “Bob, the blender won’t work!”

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Gear? Hell, just plug in to the local stump…

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

@Dale Wambaugh, you are so right about hobbies being rabbit holes.  I bought my first Tenkara rod thinking it would reduce the amount of fishing gear I take backpacking.  Now sometimes I take TWO Tenkara rods because, well, they’re different.  Sigh.

As I get older and realize how much gear and STUFF that I’ve accumulated over the years, I am trying to be more aware of whether or not that STUFF is a means to an end or an end in itself.  If something no longer brings joy or hasn’t been used in some time, I try to pass that gear on to someone who might need it or treasure it more.  I’ve still got a ways to go, it is a process, but awareness is a good step in the right direction.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Thank you for the timely article Mark. Everything we own owns a piece of us. I’m still laughing at your stove comparison as I was actually just making decisions for an upcoming trip: Use a canister top BRS3000 with a Moulder strip….. or…. use Roger’s V4 remote canister beauty. I already sold my Kovia Spider, but I can cut some grams with alcohol or esbit. Oh the endless possibilities! I think the V4 wins!

You’re welcome, glad you got a laugh out of it and could relate. Hope you had/have a great trip!

Starting to look at bikepacking and car camping, …. I’d like to stay with existing gear if solo, as I don’t currently “hang out” inside a car-camping tent.  . . .

Think if car camping with a significant other, I’d want a 3 or 4 person shelter with more features.

That’s pretty much my strategy. I keep it simple when solo car camping, but then try to increase the “liveability” and comforts when with a significant other. Although I have found that if trying to get a really early start it’s helpful for me (I sleep in my vehicle) to leave my backpack packed and ready, and in the car just use a spare sleep system and stove/cook kit. That way I don’t have to wake up, repack everything, and then hit the trail . . . I can just put everything into big stuff sacks and toss it in the roof box and hit the trail. Also makes it much less likely I’ll forget something . . . I’ve found these days I’m more focused on efficiency and protecting myself from my own forgetfulness than saving weight.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

“I’ve found these days I’m more focused on efficiency and protecting myself from my own forgetfulness than saving weight.”

+1. At some point my TPW got low enough to enjoy trips, stop caring about every gram, and optimize other things.

Reducing pre-trip choices has its own pleasure. Plus as @davidinkenai likes to point out “beware the man with one gun” because he’s really good with it (applies to any gender.) Same idea is true for most backpacking gear.

— Rex

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve said a few times here over the years that I have 200 pounds of lightweight backpacking gear – and I do.

Many of us here have asked in vain for a 12 step program for this addiction. “Hi, my name is Eric and I’m a gearaholic.” (sob!)

Recently however I have given much of that extra gear to my two grandsons. We’ve had one “training” backpack and when I get my vaccinations we’ll have some more. So Fate had a “plan” for my gear. (That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

only 200 lb?
    Wimp.
    But it is a LOT cheaper than owning a boat.
    (Boat: a hole in the water maintained by the constant injection of $100 notes.)

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Or a bike with all your backpacking gear strapped on and it’s own endless list of “needs.”

And a horse is a leather sack lined with money.

Bill F
    BPL Member

@fournwi

So true.  In the cycling community, the formula thrown around for the number of bikes you “need” is = N + 1, where N = the number currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as S-1 , where S is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.  Pretty universal formula for fly rods, packs, stoves, etc.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

N+1 also applies to the number of girl-friends you need?

Joanne C
    BPL Member

@jocost

Dale Wambaugh,

“And a horse is a leather sack lined with money.”

HAHAHAHA…

God, the truth!!

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

At least we aren’t all car collectors…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools