Topic

Uniqlo hooded down jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Uniqlo hooded down jacket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

A simple BPL Search will give many postings and opinions on Uniqlo down jackets and parkas  over the years which are positive and recommended a lot as a bargain.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

I just got one.  Only used it once so far but I’m impressed.  Amazing bang for the buck!

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Yep. Been using it for about two years now. It does the job just fine. IMO all these ~8-10oz down jackets are pretty much interchangeable.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

my wife and I both have them and are very happy.  I have to admit I have nothing to compare it to.  Price was right and we find them to be pretty warm and they fit well.

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

I have been using the non-hooded version for two seasons and it’s been one of my most used and appreciated pieces of gear. When I purchased it, the hooded-version didn’t have an adjustment mechanism or drawstring, so I decided that combining it with a good hat would provide the most versatility. So far that’s been the case, although I’ve been eyeing a black rock down hat for future cold weather camping.

This is one of those items that provides good quality and warmth, but because of the low-cost, I feel like I can stuff it, abuse it, get it wet, wear it through heavy brush, etc. without worry. Thus far it’s held up great. I would say the same about the windshirt sold by UNIQLO – I use it ALL the time and save my older houdini for the big trips.

Now that I look up the down jacket offered now, I do have a concern that the new aluminized fabric wouldn’t breath as well as the previous version. I often sleep in the jacket and consider the breathability essential.. Maybe someone else could chime in here….

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Link you are right, shoulda searched 1st :). For some reason thought it was too obscure but now I see its used.

Not sure for what kinda cold weather it can work for?  I was looking at the Patagonia UL Hood Jacket or Ghost Whisperer but man, thats a lot of $. Hoping the Uniqlo can do the trick temp wise without having to buy another heavier duty fancy one later on

Ib Bentzen
    BPL Member

@ibb

Locale: Rural Copenhagen

I suggest that you also take a look at one of their down vests. Worn underneath the down jacket, it gives extra warmth, or just wear it alone.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The Uniqlo UL Down in Medium in provided sack is 9.60oz on my scale, but it is the older model before the zipper flap. The baffles feel a bit on the understuffed side.

The Patagonia UL Down in Medium in provided sack is 10.25oz on my scale. It has a trimmer fit and feels much more lofty. It is also a good bit warmer and the baffles are very overstuffed where down appears to have no movement.

For a lot of 3 season use I think the Uniqlo is fine. However the Patagonia is noticeably warmer and has a much more useful hood.   Amongst my friends both jackets have seen considerable use across all seasons here in the US Northeast. Both run pretty cold for winter, I prefer a heavy (200g/m) synthetic parka occasionally paired with one of the above for camp use.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Does anyone know if theres a difference in warmth between the hooded and non hooded Uniqlo jacket? I already own a non hooded one.

Also, whats an average accetapble UL weight for a down jacket? Is 15 oz considered heavy?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Also, whats an average accetapble UL weight for a down jacket? Is 15 oz considered heavy?

Honestly, who cares? You should be more concerned with overall weight than one piece of gear. I live in Indiana and use a MB UL down jacket for three season but I have an Eddie Bauer Downlight hoody for colder weather. I chose it because when it’s colder out I want to wear my jacket around camp and for potty breaks so the thicker shell of the EB jacket won out for that purpose since Indiana is generally all wooded areas with tons of brush. it weighs 15 oz and I never regret having it.

Buy the jacket that solves whatever problem you’re trying to solve. Does it need to be durable? How cold will the temps be? The bigger thing to consider as well with down jackets is how much of the weight is actual insulation?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

+1 on what Hoosier said

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

cool beans, thank you :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

As mentioned the weight/fill of the down

and the FIT !!!

if theres dead air spots because of poor fit your wasting body heat and will be a bellows every move you make

a well fitting jacket with lower quality down can be warmer than a higher fill down that dun FIT

;)

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Locale: lost angeles

I’ve got a Patagonia UL hoody, it’s 9.19 oz in a size small without the stuff sack cause I never use that. I’ve tried on the Uniqlo UL hoody, and a vest. I don’t know their weights, but they seemed like a heck of a deal, and if I didn’t already have an insulation option I’d have jumped on Uniqlo. My Pat fits me better, and the hood is more functional, but it still cost $175 during the half-off sale.

+1 what Eric said about the fit. If they fit you, I feel like you can’t really go wrong with the Uniqlo for the price. Just get used to that left-handed zipper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools