Topic

Ultrawide Croc-like shoes with rubber soles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultrawide Croc-like shoes with rubber soles?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

I’ve hiked in Crocs for 15+ years now.

– They fit my super wide, flat feet perfectly. I don’t want or need arch support. The material conforms to my feet.

– The uppers are impervious to wear and tear, unlike mesh trail runners.

– They weigh nothing.

– They are impervious to water and incredibly quick to dry. 10 minutes of walking after fording a stream. DONE.

The BIG problem I have with them is their traction. On rough terrain traction is great because the foam material conforms to every single nook and cranny of the ground.

But they’re a disaster on smooth, damp surfaces. And snow. And mud. And tidepools. And wet marble in cities. Lots of slipping.

The foam soles also wear out quickly. The ones with rubber soles last longer but their rubber soles don’t have deep lugs so they’re still not good for smooth surfaces.

So I guess I’m looking for a shoe that’s like a Croc for super wide, flat feet, but with durable aggressive rubber soles? I’ve used trail runners before but they don’t dry as quickly plus the mesh gets worn through in no time.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I have very wide feet albeit with high arches. The Moab ventilator wides are the best I’ve found. Not croc-like but wide and comfortable, with good traction and decently durable.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

keen sandals?

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy,

Ask a local cobbler to sand down the sole and glue on a 4 or 6 mm vibram type sole product. I once had that treatment done on a pair of Birkenstocks.

stephan

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Living near a tourist trap, have found all kinds of these in outlets.
    The lighter ones weigh around 1 lb for a pair. With more lugs on the soles, the weight climbs quickly.
    But the ones that caught my eye were the Ozark Trail at Walmart. Cheap-$22.
    A lot of coverage by bands over the entire foot and around the heel. Lots of velcro adjustments, but once adjusted, it takes only one velcro tab to lock them on. Pretty decent sole. About 14 oz for pair in size 11.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools