Topic

Ultralight Zip-Off Winter Shorts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Zip-Off Winter Shorts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Question: Anyone know of some ultralight shorts appropriate for winter conditions that can zip off instead of pulling down over the feet?

Background: In winter I generally wear insulated tights with overboots that are about knee high, crampons or snowshoes. For the most part this system works for my lower body but sometimes I find that when the wind picks up or weather gets a real nasty, the region between my knees and hips can get chilly.

Any thoughts? Or am i going custom on this one…again…:)

Kevin Robitaille
    Spectator

@themadscribe

What about a rain kilt? The zpacks cuben version is only about 2 oz and you could roll up the waist if you don’t want it hanging below your knees. Otherwise you could probably email Luke’s Ultralight and see about adding a zipper to his laundry shorts.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

We are on the same page, those are literally my top 2 contingency plans…I have concerns about the kilt blowing around too much, but admittedly have never tried one so I might go with it and see how it works.

As a side note, I meant to reply to your response but clicked the report button…sorry…

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I’ve been thinking about something similar…a lot of times when I’m out in the winter I’m wearing knee high gaiters, so I’ve thought about some down or synthetic full zip knickers or shorts.  Nunatak has down knickers, but they are really expensive.  Klattermusen makes some down shorts, but they are not sold in the U.S as far as I can tell.  Norrona makes a synthetic full zip knicker.  There are some other European synthetic full zip shorts that I’ve seen before, but I can’t remember the brand…if I think of it I’ll post again.

I think the way to go might be to get something from Goosefeet, though.  Let us know what you end up doing!

P.S.  The Houdini’s are the synthetic zip offs I was trying to remember, but here is a link to more European insulated shorts:

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/down-pants/?_artperpage=100

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Good to know I’m not alone! I’m in the same boat – nice and warm to my knee with overboots. I was thinking more of a softshell type material and not necessarily insulated, but I don’t think I was super clear on that. I have emailed Luke to see if he is interested in making a pair for me.

As a side note, I have noticed that alot of “winter” shorts are in the cycling industry. Guessing they need to clearance for the knees but can whip up a serious wind chill when moving so fast. Lots of options, not necessarily side zips, and definitely not UL…

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Ok, I get it now….a zip off soft-shell type short to go over your insulated tights.

This guy can make some for you:

http://outaware.com/Soft%20Shell%20Fleece%20Clothing.htm

The tan soft-shell madison pants are fleece lined, and the grey are mesh lined.  I have a pair of the tan and I had him put side zip vents in mine.  I’m sure he’ll do full side zip shorts if you ask him.  He really stands by his work, so if you’re not pleased, he’ll fix them.  He is great to work with.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Steve, have you considered converting a pair of athletic “tearaway” pants into shorts?

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

There’s plenty of that sort of stuff in the ski mountaineering world. CAMP, Dynafit, etc. make them. Examples:

http://skimo.co/dynafit-radical-overshorts

http://skimo.co/camp-flash-competition-pant

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“the region between my knees and hips can get chilly.”

Some Nordic ski tights have a wind-proof panel on the front of the thighs to add some more wind resistance there (especially relevant for racers since their own motion creates wind on the front).

But since you’re looking for something you can add and subtract without “dropping trou” how about two swatches of fleece or wind-blocker fleece cut from a thrift-store garment?  About 10″ x 13″ each, you could slide them between the front of your thighs and your tights.  And even more easily pull them out when you get too warm.

In a pinch or as a proof of concept, you could stuff any number of items under the tights like a beanie cap, extra socks, bandana, etc – items you might already have with you.  If you aren’t concerned about the outline of a sock under your tights, that would be the UL thing to do – multipurpose more of your gear.  A (poor) grad student I knew at Berkeley would buff up his light shell for a cold bike ride home by asking for a newspaper, crumbling the individual pages, and stuffing them into his shell, especially in the front.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

He tried that once but the women wouldn’t leave him alone.

Also, Craft makes an insulated skirt. Dont be skurred

Kevin Robitaille
    Spectator

@themadscribe

the other comments here made me laugh and also brought the idea of cycling chaps to mind

I’m sure there’s more options out there, but this is the first thing I found:

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

What Brian B said – look at Skimo gear.
    Dynafit, Camp, La Sportiva.
    e.g.
    http://www.lasportiva.com/en/shakkar-20-primaloft-short-pant-m

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Guys, thanks for the the ideas and recommendations. I guess I didn’t look hard enough. I’m going to do some reearch to see what the best option is for my needs. I’ll let you guys know what I end up with.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Those sportiva shorts look cool, but how much will 25gms/m2 insulate?  I have a 40gms jacket and its really really thin. (Arc atom sl).

Could just be lighter puffy stuff, but almost half sounds llke nothing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools