Topic

Ultralight Trail Run / Hiking Gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ultralight Trail Run / Hiking Gaiters

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

Made these ultralight, hiking/trail running gaiters.

Perfect for trail running or fast hiking to keep rocks and sand out. Good for winter to keep majority of snow out. They are not waterproof but will keep things out.

Total weight 30g or just over an ounce per pair

Total cost 1-1.5$ per pair
    Supplies:
    What you need:

-Elastic fabric (about ½ m x ½m)

-Metal clothing hook (2)

-Piece of reinforcing fabric-5cm Velcro

-Polyester thread-Scissors, measuring tape, marking pencil

-Paper to make form-Sewing machine (preferably the one that can-do Z stitch)

1. Measure out 40cm x 20cm piece of paper. Fold 2cm at top and bottom edges and fold paper in half. At the top end measure 9cm (from left edge) and mark. Draw line from that point to lower right end and cut the upper right piece off. What remains is your form. It is the same for left and right gaiter.

2. Use the form to cut same piece from fabric. Use something heavy to hold fabric from sliding. Best to mark with marking pencil or marker and then cut it out using scissors

3. Hem the upper and lower edges. Fold 1-2cm and stitch around using Z stitch. Using Z stitch allows for fabric to stretch without ripping the thread. If sewing machine does not have Z stitch pattern, use wide interval line stitching and stretch material as you stitch

4. Stitch the middle of gaiter together. Make sure you stitch inside and then turn fabric inside out. I use normal line stitching here. Do two lines for reinforcement

5. Add reinforcement at the “toe” of gaiter and insert a hook. I used patch material which had glue on one side of the fabric that activates by heat using iron. It catches the fabric in place allowing you to fold it and set it up for stitching. Make a hole before stitching and insert a hook. Stitch around several times to keep it well in place. I recommend going slow and “manually” turning the sewing machine to prevent needle from snapping if it hits metal hook

6. Stitch in Velcro at the back. I used soft part in the gaiter and hooky part on the shoe. I also used a bit of double-sided tape to hold Velcro in place while stitching

7. Glue in hooky part of Velcro onto shoe. Contact cement works well. Clean and apply to both surfaces. Wait a minute or two and attach pieces. Apply pressure with pliers or something hard. Let dry overnight for glue to harden and bond properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvHbUazAjg&t=929s

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Wow!  There goes my Saturday.  Thanks for sharing.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Those look pretty sweet.  Fashionably coordinated as well :)

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

BTW, what size are your feet?

Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

Hey Matt,

They are 10.5 or 43.5 european

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Marko,
    Sometime ago, ran across some WPB fabric that had a lot of stretch, which I hadn’t thought was a possible combination. So I know what to do with it. Thanks.

Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

Nice, for me this was a way to go since dirty girl gaiters would cost like 40$ a pair after shipping to canada

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Size 10.5 – Yhatzee!  I just placed my order for the Lycra mesh from Quest Outfitters.

Over time, my gaiters always end up sagging at the top.  Typically, I use very thin shock cord and a barrel lock to keep them up.  I think I will add a cord channel to these gaiters at the top and make the shock cord an integrated part of the gaiter.  Stay tuned for pics, and thanks for the inspiration.

Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

good idea.  I was thinking about it but decided not to as I can just roll/fold sock under to create a lip to hold gater from sliding.  My tall ones havew a draw cord and webbing, but those are heavy duty for the snow

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

My MYOG gaiters go over the calf, which is bigger so it keeps the gaiters up.

Channel at the top with round elastic and cord lock.  Tighten so it’s just tight, then the calf will keep it from sliding down.

I don’t bother attaching at the bottom.  Since it hangs from my calf, the bottom of the gaiter stays in place over the shoes.  Not perfect though, occasionally slips up.  I got some gaiter hooks but never bothered to attach them.

I use lightweight breathable nylon.  Maybe 1.5 oz/yd2.  It gets shredded after a while, maybe one or two seasons.

Since the fabric is vertical, and it’s hanging, water tends to run down the fabric.  Doesn’t need to be waterproof.  Merino wool socks underneath.  The combination of nylon outer and wool inner prevents water from entering.  My socks never get wet.  Even when walking through wet brush.

I’ve been thinking about trying some dirty girl type gaiters.  If the fabric was a little stiff, it would just stand up resting on the bottom, on the shoes?  A little lighter weight and cooler.

None of this is snow hiking which is where most people think of using gaiters.  Then you’d need secure fastening at the bottom – velcro at heel, gaiter hook at the front.  Although I do some snow hiking and the gaiters are good enough without attachment.

I always use gaiters.  They keep out dirt and bugs.  Treat with permethrin to keep ticks off me.

Rarely I forget the gaiters and walk in rain.  Then, water hits the socks, then runs down into shoes and they get wet.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Slightly OT – I’ve been pondering actually sewing something to my shoe w/ velcro or a zipper up the front to access the laces.  Basically a DIY version of this: https://www.rei.com/product/873267/la-sportiva-crossover-20-gtx-trail-running-shoes-mens

I find the hook at the tip annoying to release every time I take my shoes off, and the velcro is coming unglued from one of my shoes.  I really can’t think of an occasion when I would explicitly NOT want an ankle gator on top of my trail shoes, so no harm in permanently attaching them if it makes the majority use case easier.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

PU adhesive like McNett Seam Grip is pretty strong, might work

That’s an interesting idea.  I like mid height boots because since they’re higher, it keeps stuff from getting into the boot.

But, with the integrated gaiter, you get the low weight of a shoe with the protection of a mid height boot.  It kind of blows away the old distinction of shoes vs mid high boots.

If you get PU adhesive, when you’re done, put it in the freezer.  It will keep for years.  Otherwise it will dry up in about 6 months.  I’ve been nursing the same tube for years, maybe for about 10 projects.  It’s just about done though, dry on the outside with only a pocket of liquid in the middle.  The last time I had to dig around to find the good stuff.

Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

So kind of like stow away hood or flap from a sun hat..

Marko M
    Spectator

@markopolo

In terms of protection yes, but not stability wise.  I like mid size as they cover a bit of ankle.  Good when going uneven ground

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I bought a dress from the thrift shop just for the fabric to make a cool pair of dirty-girls. I like the idea of knee-high gaiters. Now I have to make them!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

@Diane: photos are required!

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

They look like hell because I sewed they by hand with a needle and thread and also because these are old worn out Timps that I wear to work and I’ve put on curly no-tie elastic laces so they are making them look lumpy. I didn’t do a great job with pattern matching, either. But I might look for another wild dress or skirt and make knee-high gaiters. That’s such a great idea.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Dunno about the ‘hell’ part. Dirty Girl believe in making their gaiters really eye-catching, and they come across looking cute. Yours look just as cute. Who cares about pattern matching?

As for the sewing – looks OK from here. When they are a bit muddy (doing their job), you won’t notice. Just as long as they hold together.

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools