Topic

Ultralight Pliers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Pliers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

For basic zipper fixing in the field I need a small pair of pliers. Any recommendations for something ultralight?

simon t
    BPL Member

@slippery-salmon

Off the top if my head, gerber dime at 66g, lleatherman squirt (55g) or knipex cobra xs at 62g.

Jewelers pliers look promising. I can’t find listed weights with a quick search except for a set of 3 styles for 100g.  Maybe chain nose?

Dime is kind of trash.  Scissors and knife aren’t particularily useful.  Cobra is a super capable pair of pliers but probably overkill.  Squirt ps4 looks good and leatherman does make them better than the competition.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

PS4 is definitely worth looking at.

Jeweler’s pliers are a good idea and come with lots of different Jae shapes. I’ll try to dig some out later and weigh them to give you a rough idea.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I have carried a Squirt for many years; it has the combination of tools that are right for me, including pliers. The pliers are definitely functional. I have used them for repairs, removing porcupine quills, etc.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

Pair of hemostats may work.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I took a pair of Quarrow Turtle 8 multi-tool fishing pliers and removed the components on the handles by grinding the two rivets down and then punching them out with a small nail. All I wanted was the pliers and wire cutters and that lowered the weight from 1.8 oz to 1.3 oz. I use them to clamp split shot lead sinkers and remove hooks from fish that I can’t with take out with my bare hands. Not as good as needle nose for hook removal but a hundred times better than nothing. Available on Ebay and at Sears.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

+1 on the Squirt PS4.

I admire Monte’s DIY approach to minimizing a stock tool set.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

+1 on the Squirt. I put a tiny carabiner on it and loop my pinky through it for a little extra grip, and to clip it to my pocket. Or check out the Leatherman Style PS which basically has a carabiner built in. Same pliers but no blade except on the scissors.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I haven’t seen my ps4 in a long time. I’m curious to compare it to my preferred tiny SAK in hand now. I’m also curious if it has much potential for tool deletion like Monte did. I’ll keep digging around for it.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Squirt.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Craftsman.  1.6 ounces

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Is Squirt still the lightest, of the ones that are proven to be reliable?

Nothing beats using those things for pulling a needle and thread through a thick part of a shoe or pack. Only time I have ever needed the pliers. Saves hands and needles from getting wrecked too much.

The review that sold me on the PS4 was a guy years ago who forgot his hunting knife and had to use the Squirt to field dress a whole deer/elk he shot out in the bush. :)

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Hi Monte

I use these offset forceps (short pair here) as my fishing pliers for hook removal, back country or otherwise.  0.7 oz, $16Can

Waters I fish may land me a large musky or pike and the long handles and strong grip have never failed me.  More than strong enough for split shots.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I might just order a pair of those David, thanks. I fish south of 37 degrees latitude and the only thing I ever catch with teeth is sauger (very close cousin of walleye) and very few at that.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I’ve used fishing forceps for decades now. They are great, especially with the cutting knife edge if they have them.

My only issue with them, is that they can be pretty bendy when needing to really wrench on something hard. They really can’t handle that use as well as dedicated multi-tool pliers.

I would never personally use a set myself if not fishing, and go with something more sturdy.

For fishing, they are the best thing ever invented for removing hooks and other fish work.

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

I started carrying a 5″ hemostat years ago for un-jamming pinfeed printers. 15 grams and useful enough that it’s EDC.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Harbor Freight has a 3.5 inch locking hemostat. I have one somewhere around here…lol

Barton
    BPL Member

@bartonhodges

These are what I carry. They weigh 13 grams and are quite functional for being so small.  I’ve seen them called “Feeko Keychain Pliers” in the past.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools