Topic

Ultralight MSR Windburner Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight MSR Windburner Setup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John E
    BPL Member

@johneppen

I haven’t seen a lot of posts for reducing weight on an MSR Windburner, and love the idea of leaving the wind screen at home.  It seemed to have enough ventilation, so next will be some wind and fuel consumption testing:

I’m using my Toaks 550 mL Ti pot (43 grams), Windburner stove only (196 grams), and flint (28 grams). If this works, I will dremel some tiny half moons so I can use my Vargo Ti nails to hold the pot (dual use, no additional weight).  That comes out to 267 grams + 200 gram fuel can.  Fuel consumption testing in the wind is next.  I’m wondering if anyone has already tried this without success?  Everything nests very well together:

John E
    BPL Member

@johneppen

It turns out that in the wind, that concept did not work at all.  However, my pot is the exact same diameter as the Windburner flange.  If I set the pot directly on the stove and then tipped it slightly(to create a sliver of an air gap on each side) it seemed to work awesome with a small fan on high 12 inches away.  I was able to boil 1.5 cups of 34F water in 3:10 minutes using 4 grams of fuel.  If I turned the fan off, 1.5 cups of 34F water in 2:40 minutes using 6 grams of fuel.  The fuel discrepancy is probably due to the 1 gram resolution of my scale.  I think next I will just make an aluminum ring that fits right inside the flange, but taller and cut some slots in it.  My OCD does not allow me to boil water with a crooked pot even though it seems to work great.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Intriguing. Love the windburner but it is heavy.

Eric H
    BPL Member

@eharman

I have fiddled with this setup.  but I removed the plastic and perforated stainless steel under the burner portion. as a bonus the stainless can be repurposed as a esbit or short alcohol stove stand/wind break for the fuel source.  I’ll try to upload some pics

Eric H
    BPL Member

@eharman

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

So what weight is it down to now?

Eric H
    BPL Member

@eharman

It’s at 158 grams, but it needs a spacer and windscreen.  I love how efficiently these stoves use fuel, but hate aluminum pots.  If I could just get MSR to make me an all Ti stove/pot combo!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t think you will see Ti heat exchanger pots again any time soon after all the problems Jetboil had with the Ti Sol pots. It’s obvious that MSR isn’t targeting the ultralight crowd with the Windburner anyways, but I can see why people like them. I hiked with a guy who had a Reactor and that thing was BLAZING fast – I was so shocked at how fast he was boiling glacier runoff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools