Topic

“Ultralight” food video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition “Ultralight” food video

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Back in the 70’s I used to pack about 2.5 pounds of food per person per day. Needless to say, my pack weight was about 45 pounds for a simple weekend when bringing my family. Over the years, and while studying the various aspects of nutrition & energy utilization, I have decreased that to about 1.2 pounds per day for a solo person.
    (By 1990, I was at a 10pound base weight plus 1.1 pounds of food per day for a couple weeks out. Now, I am closer to 8 pounds in base weight (if I drop my fishing gear and SVEN saw.) I recently got a BA Scout 2 Carbon so I can drop about another 8oz out of my pack.)
    To stay healthy for 6 weeks or more on the trail, I find that just eating calories is not enough. Vitamins and Minerals, Protein, fats, carbs or a relatively complete meal system per day is needed.
    1) Vitamins and minerals: I bring pill form, no more than 30 at a time.
    2) Jerky and other preserved meats to allow close to 4oz per day of lean meat. (Dried eggs are also a good one to bring.)
    3) Olive oil to the tune of about 1 oz per day. Clarified butter (ghee) to the tune of about 2 oz per day. About 1 tbl/cup of oatmeal, 1tsp/cup of mocha, a couple tbl at supper.
    4) Oatmeal/2oz/day, Beans/lentils/~2-3oz/day, 4-6oz of: brown rice/rice,macaroni,stew, soups, ‘breads’, etc.

After the initial 6 weeks, I can no longer keep up loosing weight, so I need more, to the tune of around 2.0 pounds per day.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools