Topic

Ultralight Floatant?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Ultralight Floatant?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Dockery
    Spectator

@ferrulewax

Locale: a county over from springer mountai

My tenkara kit is lightweight. Like superlightweight, yet in the crazy obsession that many of you share, I am still trying to shave weight. I have come to the conclusion that my floatation is the weakest link in the further lightening of my kit. Typically here in the southeast I go through one whole bottle of floatant in an entire year of flyfishing…. yet I carry a full bottle in my kit that gets used a fraction of one percent of my time flyfishing.  The floatant weighs 22 grams, in perspective, my fly box full of flies only weighs 27. Do you guys try to further par down your floatant into a micro bottle? I have tried to completely eliminate the use of floatant through the use of a hydrophobic pretreatment for my flies (water shed) but it has not seemed to work (if you guys have any tips on how to use it let me know). I was hoping the water shed would be the answer to my prayers, but I am still in search of a way to escape the weight, and more importantly the mess that floatation poses to my tenkara kit…..

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

Have you tried a paste floatant like Mucilin rather than a liquid?  Seems like you could transfer a little bit to one of those flat pill box containers and save some weight that way.

I apparently don’t go through floatant very quickly – I still have a tube of Scientific Angler’s paste-style that I use.  I don’t think they make it anymore, unfortunately.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools