Topic

Ultralight Body Thermometer for First Aid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Body Thermometer for First Aid?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

What is an Ultralight Body Thermometer for  First Aid?  Any recommendation (link/model)?  Is it digital or analog?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check any big box drug store for disposable thermometers. They are a thin plastic strip and weigh mere grams.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Unfortunately, the only truly accurate body temp thermometer is the esophageal one used in hospitals.  Ear, mouth, and anal thermometers generally do not give an accurate reading.  This information came from my WFR class.  Better to know the warning signs (vitals, etc.) that can give an indication of low core temp. BTW, what most of us call “hypothermia” is generally just a core temp loss of one or two degrees which can be remedied with warming.   While a thermometer may help in identifying a fever, if you suspect fever, there is no harm in treating with cold compresses, aspirin, etc.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

+1 on knowing the signs and symptoms.

Long before carrying a thermometer for body temperature, I’d carry a small chart of signs & symptoms at various core temperatures.  Because with that, you don’t need a thermometer.  And a thermometer without knowing signs, symptoms, and appropriate responses doesn’t help anyone.

I’ve been down to 94F.  I’ve had companions down to 93F.

Here’s a reasonably detailed chart:

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I have taken twice (once for the 2nd recertification) the two day Wilderness First Aid.  On my Iphone I have in Kindle form, NOLS Wilderness Medicine (latest edition).  It has a table of the same title you show but without the temp range column (which is quite nice).  Is there a link for the above table, David?  thanks!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’d personally skip the thermometer which is just a diagnostic, not a therapeutic tool.  +1 to some of the comments above.  I think this is one of those situations where it’s better to treat your patient and not a machine, thermometer in this case.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Knowing signs and symptoms and treatment for hypothermia – good.

However, I see some value in knowing body temperature for fever. I don’t trust “back of my hand on forehead” to accurately judge fever, especially in crappy weather (too cold or too warm.) If the patient has taken max doses of aspirin and acetaminophen, and the fever’s going up or not going down, it’s probably time to evacuate. If a fever’s way high – time to evacuate. And you can’t always judge that by other signs and symptoms – I walked into a clinic with 106° F fever decades ago.

Having said all that – I don’t carry a body thermometer any more. I used to carry a forehead strip thermometer. But they don’t hold their temperature reading for more than a fraction of a second once removed from a forehead.

And since my most frequent patient is me, and I don’t carry a mirror …

— Rex

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools