Topic

Ultralight Backpacking for Lightweights; Chapter 3, My Favorite Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Backpacking for Lightweights; Chapter 3, My Favorite Shelter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

My Favorite Shelter

In this video, I run through all of the shelters I’ve tried during my transition to UL Backpacking, shares aspects I liked and didn’t like, and then show my favorite, which I believe is the best Ultralight Shelter.

This is part of a video series to help people who are either traditional backpackers or new to backpacking transition to ultralight. I haven’t shared previous videos on the gear subforum because this is a very basic tutorial; however, thought the discussion of shelters would be relevant to the gear discussion. (if you overlook the explanation of (dw vs sw, etc.) Hope this is useful!

BONUS: At 4:37, I express my true feelings about the BPL community! (spoiler: they’re good)

Thanks for your support!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The Hexamid did NOT morph into the Duplex. The Soplex was the next mutation from the Hexamid. Then came the Plexamid. The Duplex is a 2 person.

I believe the main reason Yama Mountain Gear remains in the minor leagues is because Gen won’t produce anything but the same boring front entry tents. I hate to shimmy like a worm going in and out of a tube just to enter a tent. Quality is superb though.

Try backpacking in the Eastern US during the warmer months without an innernet, lol. You’ll go crazy from the skeeters, ticks, noseeums, chiggers, ants and spiders.

Interesting journey with your shelters.Your final choice of the Khufu is an excellent one, although the footprint is too big for my style. I can tell you love backpacking and the outdoors, and I wish you luck in your adventures.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Dan,

Nice video…Thanks!

Is that the full size inner for your Khufu?

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Thanks Gents, appreciate the response and feedback.

Rob: yes it’s the full-size inner

Monte: Thanks for the clarification! I was nervous about saying that because I haven’t kept up with the Zpacks development and read that somewhere. Also, the Hexamid seemed to be about the same amount of room inside as the duomid, which is why I made that guess/assumption. I’ll have to add that to the description for the video.

Yama Mountain Gear actually does make a side-entry shelter, The Swiftline, and I regretted not mentioning that in the vid.

You’re certainly correct about the tarp-only option not working everywhere! Thanks for the well wishes.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I wasn’t aware that Yama had introduced a side entry tent. Good to hear.

The Duplex is also a 2 pole shelter, whereas the Hexamid, Soplex and Plexamid are of course 1 pole tents. I didn’t mean to be a stickler, but when you said about the innernet “don’t need one” I thought whoa, that definitely depends.

Good video though, and nice pics of the tents.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Actually, the Hexamid did morph into the Duplex (I have an email from Joe in which he states that he likes the first prototype version of the Duplex because it has the Hexamid DNA – the version that was released for sale is somewhat different, though) and the Solomid – which also has 2 poles – came later.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yea William, I forgot about the second shorter pole on the Soplex. And if I can remember, the Soplex came out about a month after the Duplex.

But the Plexamid was meant to be the true replacement for the Hexamid, hence the last syllable ending in “mid.” Just look at the Duplex and the Plexamid and tell me which one the Hexamid morphed into,regardless of Joe’s initial design for the Duplex. The Duplex doesn’t even look like a distant cousin to the Hexamid.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Monte said thet Hexamid only had one pole.

The  Hexamid Twin has two poles. I own one

<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Hexamid twin –thanks for bringing the full name back to mind Jeff.

Mine was the old version with a net floor and two poles. the second pole was pitch short and out back; you can see it in some of the pics in the vid.

Thanks for the clarifications!

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Agreed that the final Duplex moved away from the Hexamid. The first prototype definitely had the Hexamid feel, though:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools