Topic

Ultralight backpacking enhancing personal safety

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Ultralight backpacking enhancing personal safety

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I bought this fastpack someone was selling in the gear swap with the idea of using it for day hiking. I thought the pockets on the front would be great for day hikes. When it arrived it seemed a lot more capacious than expected. I decided to test whether I could fit the bare minimum of my backpacking gear in it. I got a little more than the bare minimum to fit and even then the side and rear pockets were not even full.

I decided to make a mesh pocket for the back to hold my tent and groundsheet if they get wet. I want to keep the nice stretch mesh pocket it comes with clean and not put wet and dirty things in there. The bonus of the added pocket is that it hides the gigantic logo, making me a little less CAPSLOCK identifiable.

Fastpack front

Fastpack back

It occurred to me that a pack this small even with all my gear and one day’s worth of food still looks like a day pack. Going out solo with what looks like a day pack means that nobody will really know just looking at me that I’m going to spend the night out here alone.

It occurred to me that this could be an enhancement to personal safety. Coupled with a nice stealth campsite, it’s like an extra layer of invisibility. Another reason to go light.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools