Topic

Ultamid 4 – two hiking poles vs dedicated CF pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultamid 4 – two hiking poles vs dedicated CF pole

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Good day my fellow backpackers.

During my recent hike when I lashed two hiking poles to form a center pole for my HMG Ultamid 4, after an hour the poles took some awkward position, causing the whole “pole” to bend to one side. Normally I lash them at the grips because it has more friction (grip of one pole to the surface of a second pole and same for the second pole). But under the tension, they tend to offset a bit which makes them not parallel to one another. This causes a bend.

Now, I wasn’t in a real storm, so the shelter was still sturdy. But in bad weather, I’m not sure it will stand still with a bent pole. This makes me consider a dedicated pole which I don’t like too much (extra weight and extra bulk). I’ve looked and found recommended Ruta Locura 710 tent pole.

1. Will it be sturdier than two lashed hiking poles?
    2. Does it worth weight/bulk/price in your opinion? $110 and 7.7oz
    3. Should I keep lashing and change something when doing it? I use Locus Gear carbon hiking poles.
    4. Even having the pole, does it make sense to carry the lashing straps for the case of pole failure?
    5. Anything I’m missing? Recommendations? Tips and tricks?

Thank you!

– Greg

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

If you’re already using Locus Gear poles, have you considered using the CP3 Joint? About $13, and less than an ounce, it’ll let you join two trekking poles without lashing them. I don’t have any experience with it, but it looks interesting.

By the way, I faced the same issues as you, and got an MLD pole for my MLD SuperMid. It’s about the same weight as the Ruta Locura pole. This is probably a case where more practice/better skills could save me some weight, but for now, I’ve deemed it the tradeoff worth it to avoid the hassles of lashing two trekking poles together.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

WOW! What a find! I ordered it and will report back. It should fit (length-wise). If this will not work, I’ll go for Ruta Lacura pole.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

The interesting thing is how strong it is. This is the weakest point of the whole pole.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

backpackinglight.co.uk also make two different pole joiners but they are aluminum/alloy.  Luxe Hiking Gear also makes some.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use aluminum flick lock poles and do this for my Shangrila.  It works great and held up well in the one storm it faced.

It worked far better that trying to use webbing and Velcro/cord.  You also get a handle in the peek so you don’t risk damaging fabric.

Just make sure you have enough insertion length.  I measured the minimum insertion on my existing poles and made sure I had 1” more than that on each side.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Greg F.,

To clarify, are you using the CP3 joint with your aluminum trekking poles? I wonder if it would work with my Leki poles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools