Topic

ULA front pocket mesh

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA front pocket mesh

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Can anyone tell me about the front pocket mesh on the more recent ULA Circuits and Catalysts? I’ve heard they changed it to tough, not-very-stretchy mesh. How does this affect capacity – still possible to stuff a tent etc in there or is the pocket now really limited? I’d be kind of counting on being able to use that pocket.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d email [email protected] and ask him about the differences. I think you’ll get a prompt and accurate response. Please let us know what he says if you email him.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What is your definition of “recent”? My Catalyst is circa 2009 and the mesh doesn’t stretch at all. There’s a stretch band at the top, but the main pocket is folded to give it expandability. I can fit lots of stuff in there, including my tent (either a TT Rainbow or a Notch).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the mesh on the CDT and OHM is stretchy and on the the Circuit and Catalyst it is not, you can ask them to put the stretchy mesh on the Circuit or Catalyst if that is what you want

Sean B
    BPL Member

@studlintsean

I have the ULA Circuit with the non-stretchy mesh. As mentioned by Todd, there is a band around the mesh that is stretchy. I Can fit quite a bit of stuff in the front pocket and routinely use it for: XL Rain Jacket, XL Rain Pants, 2.5 liter Play, Small diddy bag with FAK, and Whiskey of choice.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

The stretch mesh of the Ohm and CDT is much better than the mesh of the Circuit, imo. It holds things in place by virtue of its stretch and it’s really easy to access. The Circuit mesh is pretty abrasive on the back of your hands when you’re fishing something out from the bottom.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

ULA just changed the stretchy mesh of the CDT and the Ohm to be the same scratchy stiff stuff that’s on the Circuit and the Catalyst.  I don’t like that stuff, it hurts my hands when I put my hands in the pockets.  But others do because it’s tougher…

My most recent CDT had that scratchy stiff mesh on it.  It held a lot, but I like the lycra/spandex kind of pockets much better.  As far as how much it holds?  I don’t think there’s much of a difference.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Gosh, how I hate mesh pockets. They snag on branches, rip with abrasion, and they stretch. If it is raining, you often need a rain cover to protect what is in the mesh pocket, and rain covers are an awful solution. I’ve never had gear so wet that it negatively impacted the rest of my gear by putting it inside a pack. How much weight would you save by using a mesh pocket versus one made from the same material as the pack?

If I was interested in a ULA pack, and felt I needed a front pocket, I would call them and ask if they could make one out of the same fabric as the pack. Better yet, I would just cut it off and go without a front pocket and learn how to pack more efficiently. I have a front pocket on one of my packs, but it is not mesh and I rarely use it, and when I do it is for very light weight items.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The stretchy mesh pocket on my 2012 got holes in it from snagging on things, I ended up having to cut it off. I assume they are using the stiffer mesh for durability now.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I keep my rain jacket and Nalgene canteen in the front pocket.

In winter:  A wind shell, a wax kit, cable bindings and/or climbing skins as appropriate.

More for convenience than necessity.

All the rest goes in the pack.

Works for me anyway with both the ULA CDT (older spandex pocket) or the ULA CDT (mesh pocket).

I do a good amount of off-trail travel, but the Rockies and nearby (Colorado Plateau, the High Plains) is not anything like my native New England in terms of thick growth. That would change how I would use/prefer my pack set up I suspect.

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

I can’t comment on the Catalyst or Circuit, but the OHM still has the stretchy front pocket (yay!).  I just received one in the mail.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Last I spoke with them 2-3 yrs back, ULA made small custom variations on their packs in the “off-season”, assuming they had the fabric in stock.  I had my custom pack cloth Circuit made with more pack cloth, replacing the sil, iirc … imagine stretchy, tough, or solid pockets falls in the same category.

There was a wait though.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

That’s an interesting suggestion – using the robic on the front pocket too. I might contact Chris about that. I find the front pocket really useful for the things I need during the day or if I have a wet shelter, rain gear or clothing that needs to dry out. It also means the main compartment of the pack can be smaller, which is great when I don’t need to carry much – the pack can be compressed down nicely. Having a smaller main compartment probably makes the pack a little lighter too as there’s less of the heavier duty fabric.

James L
    BPL Member

@jimmerul

Jennifer Mitol said-
    “ULA just changed the stretchy mesh of the CDT and the Ohm to be the same scratchy stiff stuff that’s on the Circuit and the Catalyst.”

Ms Mitol, as someone who has inspected 3 different OHM 2.0 packs made in the last 90 days, I am about 99.9 percent sure that is not true:)
    They all still had the same nylon stocking style stretch mesh on the front pockets.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

My wife has an Ohm we got off of Massdrop last summer, and it has the non stretchy mesh.  It’s pretty much no bueno.  Luckily she doesn’t need the room too much as I carry the tent and the food, so it’s no big deal.  She loves the weigh the pack rides, and that’s what counts, but she does wish the mesh were stretchy so she could stuff her rain jacket in there.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

well maybe they brought it back??  When I bought my CDT last summer it came with the non-stretchy mesh and I was quite disappointed (I really didn’t like that on my circuit – one of the reasons I sold that pack, to be honest).  I asked about it and they said they weren’t using the stretchy stuff anymore.

Ideally they brought back the stretchy-lycra-stuff??!!  I’d love to get a CDT again, but only if it had the nice lycra stuff, NOT the scratchy mesh.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My understanding of it from some posts on Hammock Forums is that Jennifer was right that they replaced the stretchy with non-stretchy for a while and then switched back. They had a supply-chain issue for a few months. I believe I read the new stretchy is more durable and slightly heavier than the old stretchy.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

I thought I heard a rumor that they did bring it back for the Ohm.

My wife lashed some shock cord in a criss-cross pattern over the crappy style pocket, so she puts the stuff that fits into it, then she puts the bulkier stuff, like rolled up jackets, under the shock cord.  It’s not the ideal like having the stretchy pocket, but it’s an acceptable work around.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

i love my circuit, but would rather have the stretchy mesh as well.

i also found the original shock cord threaded in front of that mesh to be a bit short, making it hard to stuff things under it when the pack was full. i mentioned it to chris @ ula briefly and in passing, and a few days later i had an unrequested package from ula with a longer length of cord sitting in my mailbox… which was a pretty absurd level of attention to detail on his part.

that said, if i had one criticism of ULA as a company, it’s that they do seem to change specs and swap out some of the more peripheral elements of the packs without warning, as people seem to be hinting at above. i’m not sure if that’s prevalent throughout the cottage industry, but it’s something i’ve noticed with them.

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

If some of you scroll back a bit you will see my post.  Stretchy pocket is back for the Ohm.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

If I were a fan of the front mesh pocket, the heavier Catalyst mesh is what I’d want. My wife has the Catalyst so equipped and loves it. Ditto her girlfriend. Me, I’m not a front pocket fan, so ULA was kind enough to sew me a Catalyst the way I wanted it, with daisy chains instead of the mesh pocket/zig-zag bungie arrangement that is standard. I had them add a top pocket for good measure!

I can’t really say enough good about the people at ULA and their packs…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools