Topic

Ula cdt vs mld exodus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ula cdt vs mld exodus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seth D
    BPL Member

@sethd513

I’ve used a Ula Ohm for a handful of years.  I want to move my 3 season kit into a frameless pack. The heaviest I’d get is 12 pounds without the pack which gets me down to 15* or an over night with the dog but if I make him carry the tent polls then that saves me some weight. Solo though I’m in the single digits.

Im very formiliar and a big supporter of ula as they proved well over the years. Im just worried if I have a 20-22 pound day that the cdt will be brutal which is pushing me to the mld exodus. It’s also a few liters bigger and compresses down to a Day bag. I don’t want more packs then I need. I’d like to get rid of my 24l camel back and let this replace it so that’s another vote for the mld.

What do you use out of the two packs? How do theY carry at your limit? What do you love and what do you hate?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just picked up a CDT. I’ve only got a few miles on it (trip got cut short when a scout’s sleeping bag fell off a cliff into the lake 🙄) but it carries well in the high teens.

I got mine with a removable 1” hipbelt and Ohm compression. The CDT is smaller than I anticipated. It’s a little larger than a GG Kumo but not much more. I suppose you could compress it to daypack size with the Ohm compression mod I got but honestly I like my $25 REI Flash 18 for dayhiking so I doubt I’ll try that.

I’ll post more about the CDT and another new pack I just got once I have more miles with them. Stay tuned.

Seth D
    BPL Member

@sethd513

How much weight does the belt mod save? Do you like just a regular webbing belt to keep it from bouncing?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

On my scale, the pack is 517g with belt & 483 w/o belt. I don’t know what it would weigh with the stock hipbelt.

I dislike full hipbelts with wings and padding around my abdomen unless I’m going to be carrying heavy weight in which case I probably don’t want a frameless pack. I like to go without any hipbelt up to the high teens at which point I will start using the belt although I wear it down around where my pants belt goes. I get some load transfer although it’s not the same as I get with a Catalyst/Circuit carrying 35#.

I’ve carried frameless packs with hipbelts down by my pants in the low 20s range… maybe 22 pounds? I’m sure I could push it a little farther…

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I’m usually at about 18 to 22 pounds when I leave the trailhead with my Conduit. It carries fine. The recent trend is to cut off the hipbelt, but I find that the hipbelt does help. I can tell the difference between having it tight and loose.

Seth D
    BPL Member

@sethd513

I do feel like I want a hip belt, it would be nice to have a removable one but it seems only $$$ packs have decent removable ones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools