Topic

UL remote canister stove (not an oxymoron)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion UL remote canister stove (not an oxymoron)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I just bought a Fire Maple Blade 2 remote canister stove for my two grandsons. I got it because it is very stable and has a vaporizing tube for use with inverted canisters and colder weather.

The stove seems very well designed and built and the brand has a good reputation. Plus I like its wide burner for avoiding hot spots and for better combustion.

AND I got it B/C my grandsons are entering their teen years and as most adults know, teenagers are the most careless people on the planet. They need a stable stove.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

BTW, this stove achieves this low weight because it has titanium legs/pot supports and a narrow braided fuel line but still has a wide burner ring.

This all combines to make it MUCH lighter than my MSR Whisperlite Universal in canister mode. MSR seems to make all their stoves “Boy Scout/Marine-proof.

MSR, are you reading this?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Keep in mind the 4 out of 7 BRSt3000 stoves that failed(Ryans tests) they had titanium pot supports. Your fire Maples have 3 rivets in harms way that may melt. Fire them up at home before going  on an outing.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Eric,

Dan brings up an important point. UL often means not durable or even worse.

Svea 123 48 year review

Gaz Globetrotter 35 year review

MSR Whisperlite 35 year review 

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Eric, don’t let teen boys use MSR Whisperlight with white gas.  That would be an accident waiting to happen.  (Mostly, an attempt at humor since you didn’t suggest that.   Although when I was a teenager with MSR Whisperlight I singed my eyebrows.  Multiple times.  It’s amazing teenage males survive to old age)

You’re right Nick, my MSR Whisperlight is still working fine.  Except I haven’t used it for many years.  I finally gave it away.  Along with my Kelty pack.  They are bomb proof though.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Dan,

I could replace the leg/pot support rivets with small stainless steel bolts and nuts. I’d have to peen the ends of the bolts to keep the nuts from accidentally backing off.

Would that solve the problem? I can’t see those bolts “melting” under the heat available.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

IMO fine thread stainless bolts are strong enough, though quite small.  As you said, peen the ends to keep the bolts on – fire it up a few times to let the bolts soften first. Or soften them ahead of time with a torch. I have an older Brunton Optimus Crux (the old one with 4 pot thingies) with loose rivets that I considered doing that to.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Don’t do the bolt thing until you’ve fired up the stoves a few times with pots of water on them to test the strength and condition of the rivets.  Inspect them and then determine if they need to be replaced.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I sent you an AceCamp 4708 Volcano Lightweight Gas Stove with 2 canisters of BOSS propane fuel. The stove has no rivets to fail, it’s a great winter stove set-up. You’ve had it now for at least 3 weeks. Have you tried it yet?

The stove:

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I’m been using a similar stove for a number years now.  It appears that the only difference is the addition of the preheat loop in the new model.  So far, nothing has melted, the rivets remain secure, and I haven’t blown anything up….yet.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The Volcano looks like a MSRr Windmasster Pro only a smaller burner head that makes is super light ;)

WindmasterPrro

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Hey Dan,

Sorry I didn’t mention the stove you sent me. Again, thank you VERY much for that stove. It will be used for a couple of things: one as a 2nd “car camping stove” because one burner is not enough in that situation – and two as a loaner stove for those going with me.  In fact I cooked my wife’s pasta on it and found it had a nice flame circle. The control valve needed a bit of WD-40 and then it worked well.

Where did you get those odd shaped isobutane bottles? The one I tried worked well. I think it would last about as long as a small “regular” shaped canister.

Finally, Dan, have you found any brand of iso-butane mix that works best in winter (inverted).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The small canisters are approx. 70% Propane. They should work very well in extreme cold weather down to -35 degrees. Use them in the inverted mode if you prefere. Have your sons test them this winter in very cold weather. Use only in cold weather. You won’t have to wait long….frigid temps will be upon us soon. Canisters can be purchased at http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/Propane-Fuel-Canister-With-Lindal-Valve.php

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Finally, Dan, have you found any brand of iso-butane mix that works best in winter (inverted).

NO!

I’m going out on a limb to say the BOSS canisters will outperform any and all iso-butane mix canisters there are on the market. My Alaska testers will have the opportunity to share their findings. You also will have a chance to test them if brave enough to go outside when it’s -30degrees.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Thanks Dan, I’ve bookmarked the link. Then I looked at the cans again. Yep, lots of propane.

Those will be saved for me! :o)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Contradiction in terms there. Pure isobutane boils at -11.7 C, so if you are close to that the canister will soon stop giving off gas.

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools