Topic

UL double skin tent for Scotland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL double skin tent for Scotland

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

2kg is L , not UL

Most BPL members are in the US. Yes, we have places in winter that have weather on par with the worst places on earth. But for the most part, simple shelters meet our needs, which is why you see some rediculously low baseweights. One can thru hike the entire 2,600 mile PCT with a simple flat tarp, and on the vast majority of nights a shelter isn’t needed. People have done the PCT and the AT with baseweights of 3kg. This week I’ll be doing a 4 day trip in the Sierra Nevada with a flat tarp and it will probably stay in my pack.

Serious weather requires serious shelters. UL shelters look nice on paper, not so nice in a brutal storm. I’m in my 60’s so lower weight is very important to me, but staying warm, dry, and safe is more important. I’ve been stuck in shelters for a couple days at a time in snowstorms and was thankful I brought a shelter to match the conditions.

Eddie Brennan
    BPL Member

@ouakha

Locale: Scotland

Hi guys.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I didn’t realise that this site had mainly US based contributors when I joined!

Anyway…
    The pegging points, OK I concede my error, though this was partly based on my experience with the Moment DW, using just 4 pegs (one at each end and one either side of the hoop), and the old model Taurus UL (using 8 pegs).

I am curious re the TT Scrap 1 v Stratospire 1 and admit to been drawn towards the StratoSpire. I like the high vestibules of the StratoSpire, and TT sell a specific inner for them which would make a great home for my dog.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My wife and I are real curious about the Scarp2. One review we read said that if there is wind-driven rain or snow that the two vents at the top (apex) of the tent allow the rain/snow to enter. But that was a pretty early review, when the tent had just come-out. Anyone have any comments on this aspect of the scarp 2? Also, how well does it to (in terms of MPH) with wind if you don’t use the two optional cross-poles?

This past weekend we camped in the North Cascades (WA state) and we were totally socked-in (fog) with perhaps 10mph winds. The winds blew the mist into the (Exped) tent and all the mesh fabric got soaked. We think that maybe if the vents could have been closed that we would have been better off.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Scarp vents can be sealed shut via a Velcro strip :

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I own a couple of Tarp Tents and think they are great – but I would be surprised if closing the vents would make much difference in that situation. Keeping driving rain out maybe, dealing with moisture in the atmosphere and the interaction with your breath another altogether.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Franco – Oh, I did not realize that you could close the vents.  +1  :-)

Eddie Brennan
    BPL Member

@ouakha

The securing points on the Moment DW for the cross-over pole. Are these OK to use as additional guy points, say tied to a walking pole, large stake or tree?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I don’t think so, however I don’t know why try to use them when having a secure hold at either ends and using the provided sleeve guyout-points work.

I am aware that some don’t like to hear this but again when a peg/stake pulls out , the shelter is not at fault . Same reason why a boat is not faulty if it breaks anchor.

Eddie Brennan
    BPL Member

@ouakha

Simply to keep the outer fly from the inner in high winds while hopefully removing some of the pressure on the end stake. I have seen pics of other users tying guys to walking poles from these points.

Not saying the tent is at fault, but if the winds are high and the ground poor, an additional guy line should help.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“Same reason why a boat is not faulty if it breaks anchor.”

Well, unless you leave your sails up…

;>D

But on that note, I’ve seen many tent designs which either caved inward or became kites when the wind hit them just right. I will agree that “user error” was mostly to blame (not fully pinned to the ground or properly anchored.) But there is no doubt in mind that some designs shed wind better than others.

I will offer that in poor soil and high wind, there’s no reason why one can’t add a second line to a single guy out point, to add redundancy and cut line tension down. Just make sure the stakes are angled properly.

Matt

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Eddie it really does depend on your definition of lightweight.

I’ve just seen an eBay ad for an old Vango [ NOS] Force10 Mk2 LW; 1.98 kilos without the pegs and extra guys. Having spent a few nights huddled in one of those in the Cairgorms 40+ years ago almost anything can be considered both better and light weight

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools