Topic

UL antacids?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

One of the heaviest items in my FAK is 2 large packs of rolaids.  For whatever reason I sometimes get heartburn on the trail.

Is there a lighter alternative?  Id prefer to keep a reactive antacid treatment vs a regular pill like Pepcid or whatever.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

What about pepto bismol repackaged?

Sorry to be a paranoid cardiac nurse here, but I hope you really are experiencing indigestion on the trail and not angina. Cardiac pain very often mimics indigestion and/or abdominal pain.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

There are travel sized packs of Tums available.  Pills are small, rolls are about 5 cm x 1cm. Easy to carry. Or, flick out how ever many you want, and carry them in a small pill pockets Ziploc, available in pharmacies. Might wrap in foil first.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Baking soda? I don’t typically get heart burn, but I see 1/2 teaspoon is the recommended does, so it seems that could go a long way. And you can use it as toothpaste or to relieve bug bites, too, so it’s a multiuse item

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Try to bring this up with your doctor and track down WHY this is happening vs trying to find a drug to mitigate it…

I had pretty sever indigestion and reflux issues and spent a month paying attention to what I ate and it just went away.

Basically I was drinking too much soda water and it was weakening my esophagus…

This can be a sign of something serious so just keep up with it… way easier to cure something when you catch it early.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Yeah, baking soda would be more compact than the Tums / Rolaids.
    You could multipurpose baking-soda toothpaste by swallowing it after brushing your teeth!  Better yet, brush with baking soda and swallow that.

Or learn some geology, and find stream-rounded limestone or marble pebbles.  Swallow those.  No added pack weight!  There’s a decent vein of limestone in most of the Sierra around 2,000-2,500 feet of elevation (corresponding to gold-rush-era towns).  And spotter occurrences around 9,000 feet in a few places.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Best to be answered by your PCP.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools