Topic

UGQ Bandit Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UGQ Bandit Quilt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

So I’m about to order my first quilt (my wife’s christmas present to me!) and I have a couple of questions.

From what I have seen the UGQ Bandit quilt seems to be the best deal on a quilt right now, especially with the sale they’re currently running. All of the reviews on UGQ quilts I’ve read are highly favorable. Unfortunately I haven’t found many reviews on the newer Bandit model. any thoughts or experience with that one?

Next Footbox – I’m thinking I want to go with the flat-boxed footbox. any idea if you lose more of less quilt length with that vs the snap/drawcord footbox? Also will I be missing out on something awesome by not having a quilt that can be fully spread out? My feet never really get too hot in a sleeping bag or in my bed at home, so I don’t think venting the bottom will be a huge draw for me. I’ll be ordering a 20* and camping mostly in the mountains of NM and CO.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would go for the full insulated foot box on a quilt and would consider a snap closure unless it’s a 40* quilt.  Of course everyone is different.

I would look at Nunatak too they have a line of affordable quilts now too and have been making high quality quilts a long time.

There are lots of good options nowadays though. A lot more than when I had my quilt made in 2010.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

I chose the zipper drawcord on my EE quilt.  I like to be able to use the quilt in warmer weather also and being able to open the footbox helps a great deal.  Doesn’t make a difference concerning the length because I went with a long quilt.  Mine is rated to 20 degrees but it’s probably more comfortable at 30 degrees.  I camp mainly in NM mountains.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Though I don’t have a Bandit, I do have a UGQ underquilt and two of their tarps, and all are topnotch quality, you definitely won’t go wrong with any of their products.  Another very highly regarded line of economy quilts are the Hammock Gear Econ Quilts.  Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to open up the footbox, though the truth is that I almost never have on either of my topquilts.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

That’s a pretty good deal. I’ve been looking for a solid 30F quilt or bag that won’t break the bank. Decisions, decisions.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The permanent footbox only limits the upper range you can use it. (For example, I use my EE 20F quilt down to 20F with a bit of help (hoodlum, down jacket long johns and long/loose knee length socks.) When the temp reaches around 50 or so, I open it up and spread it out and only use my UL long johns and shorter socks.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Well, I ordered a long, wide with 800 fill in burnt orange. 30F version with a sewn foot box. It was $198 out the door. Not bad for a quilt made with 20D and 10D fabrics.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Late to the conversation but a big fan of sewn footboxes here. I’ve found I can still kick my feet out if I’m too warm. Enjoy your new quilt!

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I sold my EE Revelation to try an Enigma and I much prefer the sewn/insulated footbox.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I like a drawstring footbox on a 50F-30F rated quilt…makes it more useful on nights that are just cool.  On a 20F or lower rated quilt, and assuming temps are at or below freezing, I’ve never wanted to open it up, appreciating the “closed up” warmth.  Plus as Matt said…you can still kick your feet out if you want to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools