Topic

Two person, three season tent/shelter for the tall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two person, three season tent/shelter for the tall?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Looking for a two person three season tent tent but I really haven’t kept up with the market.  I am about 6’5″ and she is about 6′ so it needs to be longer than most.  Lightweight is good but I don’t mind saving $100 for it to gain 4oz.  We usually don’t take trekking poles.  We both get pretty hot very easy so lots of ventilation would be good.  Thank you.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Big Agnus Copper Spur UL’s are 90 inches, in length

. decent height as well.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Some rules about tents and tall people (from a 6’5″ hiker):

1. Don’t take any advice from someone who isn’t tall.
    2. 95% of the advice you’ll get will come from people who aren’t tall.
    3. The advertised length of a tent has absolutely no relation to its adequacy for tall people.  If you don’t know how steeply sloped the walls are, you know nothing.
    4. You need more length in a single-wall tent than a double-wall, because for the former you have to make sure not to even touch the walls.
    5. Tent adequacy has two primary components:  fit while lying down, and fit while sitting up.  The former is mandatory; the latter can be compromised if you’re willing to put up with it.

I have two Tarptents–a Rainbow (single-wall) and a Notch (double-wall).  The Rainbow (not the Double, though I assume it’s similar) has more than enough length as long as I stay in/near the middle of the tent.  Closer to the sides it’s harder to keep from touching the end wall.  There is a LOT of sit-up room in the Rainbow.  The Notch works, but fits like a sock and either my feet or head will usually be touching the ceiling (which is the mesh inner tent on the Notch).  Sit-up is possible, but it’s a two-move scoot/sit maneuver and there’s very little elbow room.  I can change clothes in it but it’s tight.

Good luck.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have a Moment that does pretty well and would probably go to a double of that or the Rainbow.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I’m not tall, but you can use the Tarptent website to filter on your parameters, like 2 person, fits tall, sit-up room for tall, etc.

The filters show DR, Bowfin 2, Scarp 2, and Rainshadow 2.

• Bowfin 2 is new, looks to have replaced the Moment DW 2.  Free standing.
    • I have the Double Rainbow and it’s a bit cramped for two if you want to hang out.  It’s fine for sleeping. I use it for solo when I need a full net, free standing (trekking poles), or bring a dog.
    • Scarp is heavy but is great if you need a bomber tent
    • Rainshadow has a huge opening and is very long but not the best weather resistance.  I’m not sure why the MoTrail doesn’t filter for tall folks.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Hey Brett.  You’ve been as absent from these boards as I have in the last couple years…  I always get a kick out of threads by tall folks looking for hope in out world of smedium.  It seems the desperate search for reasonable gear continues.

Check out the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo.  There are other options, but it’s still my go-to when my kids or wife join me.  For a single with extra width and plenty of length for tall folks, I still love my Lighthearted Gear Solong 6…it’s my most favorite to-go when I want something long, light and effective.  It’s not suitable for two people, but it has plenty of extra room for gear or enough for a small child or dog.  Again, there are other options, but unless you’re spending a bundle, most options are just variances of other similar tents.  Both have great ventilation, but do require trekking or proprietary poles.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Have you all thought about a larger mid, like a SuperMid, and lay diagonally?  How does that work for you sasquatchi?  I mean, a SuperMid is a PALACE for two non-mutant-sized people.  I’d think it would work well for you all, laying diagonally.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

For two tall people I would check out the Tarptent Cloudburst 3.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools