Topic

two inflatable pillow leaks, looking for non-inflatable?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) two inflatable pillow leaks, looking for non-inflatable?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve had two different inflatable pillows leak on two different trips- pretty much sucks when your inflate the pillow and it lasts less than an hour, so looking for something that can’t leak.

stuffing a puffy inside something isn’t going to work, as I’m often wearing it as part of my sleep system

stuffing extra clothing into something isn’t going to work either, as the clothing I’m already wearing is often wet and the few dry pieces I carry typically are worn to sleep as well

Thanks in advance

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you’ve got space in your pack you could bring bubble wrap (the large bubble kind), or you could opt for kids balloons or a couple of ziplock plastic bags to fill with air and stuff inside a pillow cover of some kind.

I have used bubble wrap to make a knee pillow and it works pretty well. Be aware that the “bubbles” can get much harder above 7 or 8,000 feet…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I used a homemade pillow from some foam (two different levels of hardness/softness). Debbie made me some great pillowcases for the foam. Really made a fantastic pillow. I think I have some of that foam left if you want me to send you some.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks, I carry a small sitpad- wonder with the right pillowcase/pouch I could fashion a pillow

I see goosefeet has down pillows- really down pillow cases as they don’t have enough down to support your head, maybe something like that over a sitpad

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not the same kind of foam. I use one piece of memory foam and one piece of the foam you put in seat cushions. I think the pillow weighed about 4-5 oz.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What brand pillow? I’ve been using an Exped (only item I own of that brand) for several years with no problem… which reminds me, I need to wash it, it is filthy.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Mike

I’ve used an Exped pillow as well. Probably well over 100 nights with no issues.

I cover it with a fleece buff as Ryan Jorden suggested a while back. Easy to wash the buff and keeps the pillow clean.

I really need a good pillow with the curvature in my neck.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Inflatable or otherwise I have personally found using a travel neck pillow to be absolutely wonderful.

But it must have a neck closure snap so it wont expand when I put my head on it.

Whether I am sleeping on my back or my side, it securely “cups” my head, and I don’t seem to move around as much on my mattress. And I can also comfortably  wear earplugs (or even headphones) to sleep now since I’m no longer compressing my ear.

Although I’m fine with the S2S Aeros inflatable, something like this would work just fine.

Joshua S
    Spectator

@thejosh

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that’s an interesting design, 3 oz isn’t too bad either

my pillows are S2S aeros, have two lightweight ones and two “premium” ones

one of the lightweight ones leaked on a trip with my wife (and it was the pillow she was using- that’s never good :)), the latest was a larger premium- S2S replaced the first one and are now going to replace this one

their warranty is solid, but having a pillow that doesn’t stay inflated is definitely a big drag on a trip

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

After my last failure with an Exped UL pillow, I went with something more durable and multi-use. The Klymit Cush Seat is made of a robust 75d and is well bonded. You’d have to do something stupid for it to fail. Measures 29″ long, 9″ wide and 1.5″ thick. Weighs 3 oz. Folded in half it’s 14″ long by 3″ thick. (most UL camp pillows are about 3.5″ thick). Of course the Cush Seat can also be used for its stated purpose of being a sit pad. As the ad says “it’s a pillow and a cushion.” 

https://klymit.com/collections/accessories/products/cush-inflatable-lightweight-seat?variant=31722986242138

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Im pretty sure Exped sells non inflatable pillows as well:

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/accessories?f%5B0%5D=type%3Apillow

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’ve tried to use my small CCF sit pad as a pillow rolled into an oval with 2 elastic loops to hold it together. Not so great. In an absolute pinch maybe. I filled a small stuff sack full of down as well. But to get it to that right ratio of support, it became heavier and bulkier than I wanted to carry for ground sleeping. In a hammock, I was able to get away with significantly less down. More or less became like a contoured neck pillow really. Currently using Sea to Summit Aeros regular. Not 100% in love with it. Tried others. Still waiting to find the one

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

received the replacement pillow yesterday from S2S- no complaints about the comfort or weight of the pillow; but two leaky pillows on two trips is not exactly confidence inspiring

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

+1 for exped pillas!

REM pillow.
    mine is years old with no babying and no hole. I’m on the fence on their pads due to holes but the pillow has material over it  Comfortable and protects it.
    maybe it’s heavy. Idk. It packs small and I sleep well.

Jay S
    BPL Member

@somology

Simplylightdesigns.com has an apex climashield pillow that is stuffed just right and is light for a stuffed pillow – just weighed mine and it says 3.75 oz.  I use it as a hammock pillow.  Liked it so well I bought 4 more for the rest of the family.  It is not large dimensionally, so that could be an issue for some.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jay does the Apex lose much height when you put your head on it?

I’ve seen a couple of the lightweight down pillows and they are really designed to be used in conjunction w/ an air pillow- they flatten out with weight on their own

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Mike,

I’ve made a few non-inflatable pillows and i need to check the weight but i think they are around 5oz. i can get some weights and pictures if you want. i’ve also been playing with the idea of a combo of non-inflate and inflate. it all depends on how much loft you want in the pillow, one thing i haven’t played with is taking my shoes or other gear under my non inflate pillow to give more loft.

i’m usually in the same boat b/c like you most of my clothes are part of my sleep system as well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just got back from a 3 day trip and the new pillow was fine; still a little leery after two failures

Josh- yeah I’d be interested what you came up with

I have thought more on clothing and I almost always have a hardshell (sometimes hardshell pants) that could be added

carl v
    Spectator

@c-von-meij

Love the Term-a-rest Down Pillow. They don’t make tem anymore, but you can still find them from other sellers.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Mike ,

Here’s a picture of my 5 oz pillow.  Your more than likely going to need something under it , unless you don’t mind your head on the ground.  I was originally thinking air pillow but maybe pack or shoes or something like that.  

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools