Topic

TT Notch Lithium

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Is the Notch Lithium considered an SUL solo tent or mercy UL?

DEFINITION-> to me a tent means fully enclosed and floored waterproof tent.

(My lightest was the original single wall TT Moment. I define a tent this way because I’m not talking about a tarp with a floored net, although the line gets fuzzy here. My Moment DW is designed to be pitched with just the fly or just the inner tent or both together.)

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Maybe SUL mountain, where you’re using a greater portion of your SUL ration of weight towards a bomber shelter, and hedge towards the upper weight range of SUL (7 lbs.)

Otherwise the ‘normal’ SUL shelter is more Spartan in my kit experience… 5-7 lb base means a head net for bugs and a tarp shell with polycro floor below your svelte quilt/pad.

but..

Maybe I’m quibbling too much, cuz I hope to pickup a notch li soon, too. And that sure would be fun to put together a SUL trip with such a protected shelter and still come in under sul ‘weight.’

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Definitions for items gets tricky.  E.g. a chair doesn’t fit with the concept of SUL but you could still bring one and have a 5 lbs. base weight.  Same could be said of fully-enclosed tents.

If the conditions call for a fully-enclosed double wall tent then the Notch Li is the SUL option (i.e. the lightest version possible).  Does that mean SUL mountain?  When is such a tent “required” vs. “more comfortable?”

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well, my conditions call for a fully enclosed tent – period. I’m done with tarps. Single wall tents are OK, I used to have a TT Contrail and the original TT Moment single wall (now I have the Moment DW modded for 4 season.

But it’s gotta be fully enclosed for me to enjoy the experience. Even with both vestibules open I still want the netting doors zipped in place. Hate being wakened by bugs buzzing and whining in my ears all night. And a head nets don’t cut it for me unless I’m walking or cooking – but never sleeping. I’ve experienced a black fly biting through my headset in Canada on a canoe trip the summer Nixon resigned. Speaking of Nixon, I never thought I’d miss him – ’til Trump came along. ;o)

Do I want to spend a mortgage payment on a solo tent? Nope, not yet. ButImay sell off a few guns and get it later this year, hopefully before the new tariffs set of wild inflation.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well, my conditions call for a fully enclosed tent – period. I’m done with tarps. Single wall tents are OK, I used to have a TT Contrail and the original TT Moment single wall (now I have the Moment DW modded for 4 season).

But it’s gotta be fully enclosed for me to enjoy the experience. Even with both vestibules open I still want the netting doors zipped in place. Hate being wakened by bugs buzzing and whining in my ears all night. And a head nets don’t cut it for me unless I’m walking or cooking – but never sleeping. I’ve experienced a black fly biting through my headset in Canada on a canoe trip the summer Nixon resigned. Speaking of Nixon, I never thought I’d miss him – ’til Trump came along. ;o)

Do I want to spend a mortgage payment on a solo tent? Nope, not yet. But I may sell off a few guns and get it later this year, hopefully before the new tariffs set off wild inflation.

BTW, I think I would sew reinforced circles on the fly midway (inside and out) halfway between the ends and the peak of the Notch for a small D ring to use for guying in windy situations.

As well I’d sew 4 hem loops equidistant around the fly hems to stake them out in high winds. This cuts way down of flapping in addition to making the tent more secure.

And finally I’d sew some of those new YKK lightweight zippers on the vestibule closures. I want it REALLY wind resistant.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hmm. I’d rather a cuben duomid with cuben floored inner if I wanted a fully enclosed two person that’s as light as possible. That combo comes in at 25oz. Well proven. Fewer stakes for a basic pitch, less complicated.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Hmm. I’d rather a cuben duomid with cuben floored inner if I wanted a fully enclosed two person that’s as light as possible. That combo comes in at 25oz. Well proven. Fewer stakes for a basic pitch, less complicated.

Regarding the DuoMid you could save a couple ounces with the Solo Inner XL and keep a dry vestibule area.  I don’t think MLD includes guy lines in the weight so add a little bit there.

The X-Mid is a few ounces more at 28 ounces and a simple rectangle footprint, and door stakes are optional.  Of course it’s not available to the general population yet but it is a real contender for a double wall solo tent with an easy setup.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I know there are many “mid” fans here on BPL but I personally do not want a tent with a center pole.

To me the Notch represents a fairly advanced design whether in silnylon or Dyneema. My similar Moment DW has seen me through torrential rain and snowstorms and kept me comfortable. I can see a Notch Li or similar in my future as I age into decrepitude and am forced to lighten my load further. Maybe even a “Noisy Air” mattress. Certainly a rental llama as well. (I kid you not.)

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Eric,
    Llamas like green lands, though not fond of walking through water (I helped the Llama Lady in Pagosa Springs CO with her young llamas in training as well as a few weeks in Peru). Desert would not make them happy unless you plan to carry their food, too. They like fresh green stuff, whether grass, young tree and bush limbs, cane, etc..

My knees are at the point where I may use a llama to carry the load on longer trips. I know some guys in their 70s that use pack mules in the CO mountains. Hey, I never planned on having bad knees but fitness doesn’t overcome genetics in the long run.

Cheers,
    Bill in Roswell, GA

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Per SUL, these days a tarp and bivy are the same weight as a CDF tent at less than 1.5 pounds. And I love the multiple ways I can set up a tarp. But for trips that involve a variety of climates and terrain, a fully enclosed shelter that is truly wind and rain worthy, that you can quickly setup in a couple of minutes in a full gale is worth any argument over an couple ounces difference.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Well, there is always the TT AEON, a solo single wall Dyneema ‘Mid. So far the lightest Dyneema Tarptent at barely under one pound.

Seems Henry Shires has included design elements that solve many of the ‘mid problems like CF rods at corners and back wall for more interior useable floor space, CF ridge strut that helps with more front overhang, fewer stakes and guy lines needed than comparable tents, etc.

But it has a Dyneema price too, at over $500. Still, for a Dyneema tent with that good design and TT quality it is very reasonable when compared to other solo Dyneema tents.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

UPDATE:

The revised Notch Li is now out with waterproof 2-way zippers and a few other upgrades like a lighter inner “solid” tent.

For a bit over $600. and reportedly (by Henry Shires) even better build quality from Chinese manufacturers I guess I’ll get it and dye the inner tent green for a bit more shade and privacy.

I’ll tell you, if I could “dye” the Dyneema fly with big permanent markers I’d do it. Even if it took me a week!  (Did I mention I dislike the white DCF cloth?;o)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

And i did get the Gen. 2 Notch Li.

I’ve just added 4 fly hem stake loops and may soon dye the inner tent a medium green with RIT DyeMore mineral dye for synthetics. (“Peacock Green”)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Tried posting a photo of my Notch Li but got a d@mn “?” in a box. What gives?

And please don’t tell me i need some photo cloud service to do this!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools