Topic

TT Double Rainbow Li – West Coast Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Double Rainbow Li – West Coast Trail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Hey

I’m looking to upgrade some gear for this season as my current tent weighs in at 4.7lbs.

I want to get into a Dyneema tent as I like the idea that it doesn’t retain the moisture like other materials. Plus the weight savings are a big factor for me as well.

I really wanted to get the TT StratoSpire Li since its a double wall, but I soon realized that wouldn’t work with my dads and I Wide (25″) mats.

My question is will I regret taking the Double Rainbow Li on the wet and humid West Coast Trail? This is going to be for sure my most wet trip with this tent and if I didn’t book the WCT and only hiked my local spots I wouldn’t even hesitate to buy the DR Li. Will the liner and steep angles and gutter be sufficient for a trip like this? I do like that the trekking poles make it a freestanding tent for the beaches as well.

Any other double wall Dyneema suggestions would be appreciated, but thus far I haven’t seen any 50″ wide, double wall or hybrid in the 800g – 900g range.

Thanks.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Many of the lightweight tents are not rectangles so even if the head end of the tent is greater than 50 inches, the foot end will be 10 inches shorter. The Durston X-Mid 2 (Silpoly) is 52 inches wide and is reported to be rectangular.

The Tarptent Rainshadow is 2.7 lbs and 70 inches at the head end, 68 inches at the footend. I have not experienced issues with Tarptent shelters absorbing excessive water. You do sometimes have to restake them because of the stretch.  It would seem a primary requirement for your intended trip would be big vestibules so water is not carried into the tent upon entry.

I personally don’t worry much about how much water my shelter might absorb be it silnylon or DCF because if I am worried about water weight, I still need to shake down and or wipe off the shelter.  With DCF, the primary advantage in my opinion is lower weight.

David M
    BPL Member

@cledmartin

I had my first trial run of my new TT DR silnylon about 2 weeks ago at a Scout camp.  I purposely set it up in a wet field, before I knew it would rain to give it a good trial before I go on some longer trips.  A couple initial observations for what they’re worth.

– Size – I bought a 2 person tent b/c a lot of my nights out will be with scouts – I wanted the extra room for some privacy, room to change, etc.  I have a 25″ wide mat and once I was set up inside realized that a 2nd 25″ mat will fit perfectly, but that’s it.  So if you’re wanting a little room for gear inside, go a little bigger – if you just want a place to sleep, it fits well.

– I’m 6’1″ and the curve and the length of the tent matched what was advertised – enough headroom to sit up, and I didn’t bump my head or feet on the insides of the tent.  So with just a little care I managed to stay away from any interior moisture

– Condensation – The temp that night dropped from 50 to about 37 – would have been a great case study for Ryan’s webinar on condensation – plenty of condensation formed inside, but it didn’t rain on me.  A quick wipe with a cloth in the morning and a shake out before I packed it up and it was 80% dry.  15 minutes of airing it out later in the day and it was fully dry.  After watching the webinar, there are several things I’ll be experimenting with the reduce the condensation, but in the environment I was in I expected it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d email Henry at TarpTent and ask him for advice about tents given the constraints you have identified. I think it would be interesting to see which tent he would recommend.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Hey thanks for the responses and thoughts. It’s good to hear the condensation didn’t rain down. I have read with the steep angles that everything runs into the gutter really well. I did message Henry and he did recommend the double rainbow based on what I said. Just was hoping for some more thoughts from others running it. I would definitely get the stratoSpire if it was 50” wide.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

You should check out the Ultamid 2.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

You could fit 2 Thermarest Pads in the SS head to toe. I can fit my Thermarest next to my 25” exped head to head though there is some compromise to the bathtub floor.

I think I could squeeze in 2 25” pads though there would be some squeeze in the corners with longer pads. Again somewhat compromising the bathtub floor lowering the edges a bit.

I think it would still be very comfortable as far as ultralight tents go.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Hey just to confirm before I order. You do agree with my comments above of what I took from your thoughts?

greatly appreciated

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I agree Tarptent makes a nice tent. I’m a DR fan , but I only know what’s in the literature. It does have more room. You may be a little squeezed in the SS. If you’re both over 6’ and over 200 pounds, it might get a little tight, but I wouldn’t say uncomfortable.

They have a lot of features, but they all compromise. It’s a personal choice.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

51.2 “ Exped DuoMat in TarpTent SS Li.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I love my DR Li. I’ve used it a number of times now, it’s the perfect tent for me, I’ve had no serious condensation issues (but I do leave both doors open whenever possible, which is almost always when I backpack), and it’s got plenty of room (I use it as a single shelter, but there is plenty of room for another person). I haven’t had it in any serious weather so can’t comment on that.

David M
    BPL Member

@cledmartin

Follow up to my previous comments on the TTDR Si – just got to do 5 days in the Pecos.  Got hammered by hail and rain 3 nights.  The DR was great at setting up and keeping the real water out.  The quick temp drop and the high moisture led to a lot of condensation.   The rain and hail hitting the tent created splatters of water hitting me in the face during the storms.

I tend to see a lot of rain in spring when I camp with our scouts.   For $45 and 2.5 oz I’ll likely add the liner and just take it when the forecast is poor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools