Topic

TT Double Rainbow for PNW winter use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking TT Double Rainbow for PNW winter use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    . traleshotz
    BPL Member

@traleshotz

Locale: Oregon PNW

I was thinking that I could use the Double Rainbow with liner and vertical hiking poles in the cross strut grommets and snow stakes for winter use in the PNW. Anticipated low temps would be 15 degrees F at the lowest. I wouldn’t set up in exposed areas.  No heavy snow loads.  If the forecast is too extreme I stay home. I have a Z-pack 20 bag or a WM Ultralight 20. I could also carry my Cocoon silk liner.  I use a ThermaRest Neo-Air X-therm (the gray one) pad usually with a 3/4 RidgeRest underneath.  Anyone used this tent in similar conditions?  Any thoughts?  On paper it seems do-able and safe.  Thanks for your time.

edit: After I posted this I went to the TarpTent site and looked through the photos they have of various tents at assorted locations world wide; nice pictures, worth a look-see.  They pretty much answered my question.  But any thoughts or advice or stories would be appreciated.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d take the optional liner liner along, pre-attached to the tent for fast setup. Take pre-made guy lines for every guy point in case of high winds. The Double Rainbow doesn’t do all that well in “side” winds that hit the entrances. In high winds just keep the vestibules on the lowered position, or at least the one on the windward side.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

No.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Ed m’ boy, would you like to elaborate? Perhaps you have an alternative to suggest. I agree a Double Rainbow would not be the best choice but if it’s what you have it can work if properly guyed out and the fly hem can be staked down at 4 points to prevent flapping.

Personally I like my modded Tarptent Scarp 2 with its internal X-ing poles, 4 guy lines and fly hem stakes. But I would not want to use an un-modded Scarp 2 for heavy winter weather, even with outside X-ing poles.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I’ve done it a few times around Rainier. The problem is that even the slightest wind (and there is ALWAYS wind) blows little snow crystals through the mesh and when you wake up everything is covered in a very thin/fine layer of snow. I didn’t have the liner though.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The liner will not mitigate the effect of spindrift because it only covers the top part of the shelter.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eric – Heck no. Snow. Wet, heavy, snow. Sometimes falling by the foot. Almost everyone I talked to when doing my research into winter camping in the PNW swore by Mids. A few used beefier, traditional fully framed 4 season tents. I use an MLD DuoMid. My winter experience is small but growing, and the Mids seem to be the best balance between weight and storm worthiness I have found. Mine is a cuben model, and I have had no issues with it.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

i live on the Olympic peninsula and used to have the dbl rainbow. to work on the coast, it needed some upgrades. seam sealing is an absolute necessity–was done before i took it out. i found out on my first trip to the Olympics that stakes are insufficient to hold in somewhat loose soil and high winds…replace them or put rocks on top. condensation was a major issue, so plan on waking up to that every morning (really, a lot of condensation).

ultimately got rid of it after a few trips because it was not enough tent to handle the wind and rain on the coast, and the condensation was super annoying/bordering on dangerous if you are not prepared for it.

also, unless you sleep warm or plan on wearing some layers to bed, that doesn’t look like enough to keep warm down to 15. you know your body, but if you have never slept out that cold, bring some layers just in case. and forecasts are nice and all, but weather blows in all the time off the coast into the mountains that is difficult to predict or even see coming sometimes…careful if you go up to high into the mountains.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jared,

Seam sealing is not an upgrade for any  Tarptent, it is a requirement spelled out on the TT web site.

just curious , what are you using now ? (might help the Op)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Ed, I hear you regarding snow load and have made my TT Moment DW and SCARP 2 (both W/ ripstop inners) into true winter tents by running crossing poles inside the flys and adding stake loops on the fly hems. Now they are both very wind resistant and can hold up under a heavy, wet snow load.

In fact I ordered a heavier main pole from Tentpole Technology for my SCARP 2 for winter use.

Proper pole design, staking fly hems and using several guy lines is key to a decent night’s sleep in a snowstorm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools