Topic

TT Cloudburst 3 as a winter tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Cloudburst 3 as a winter tent?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Looking at the tarp tent Cloudburst 3 I see it has two options that could make it an acceptable winter tent.

1. optional solid inner tent
    2. optional 3rd arch pole

With these two options methinks you could have a decent winter tent for at least 2 people with their bulkier winter gear. It has the tunnel shape and 3 arch poles many winter tents have. And it has Tarptent’s quality of construction. Perhaps a few more guy points would help as well as fly hem stale loops.

If the arch poles are not rigid enough heavier duty poles can be ordered from Tentpole Technology as I’ve done with my Scarp 2.

Any opinions? Henry?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Theres a liner, but not a solid inner tent

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

There is also a third arch pole, but I don’t think it has a pole sleeve.

I do think with some minor changes the Cloudburst 3 could be a decent UL winter tunnel tent.

I’m sure Roger will have some input.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Jeff, the liner covers the inner tent down to the floor. Good enough to make it a double wall tent.

Brad, The optional 3rd arch pole attaches with Velcro “straps” around it at several points. I’ve used this same idea on both my TT Moment DW and Scarp 2 to hold X-ing poles in place that I’ve shortened and run beneath the fly.

What minor changes do you think would help the Coudburst 3 become “…a decent winter tunnel tent.”?

I forgot to mention that adding stake loops to the “fly” is necessary in high winds.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

i guess?🤷🏻‍♂️

sure

11 is a dozen…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t claim to know anything winter tents (I live in TN) nor tunnel tents but here are my thoughts.

The TT needs a pole sleeve for the middle pole.  My guess is this would add less than an ounce, though it may add complexity to construction.

I think it also needs guyouts for all three poles.

I’d think it would also benefit from some internal guy-lines.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools