Topic

trying to solve pack choice dilemma (shared pack)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) trying to solve pack choice dilemma (shared pack)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’m looking for a pack that my grandson can use, as well as a visiting daughter.  My grandson is 12 years old, but very skinny.  I believe that torso lengths are pretty close, my daughter is pretty slim, but definitely not as slim as my grandson.

I originally looked at the Exped Lightning in the women’s model.  The adjustable torso length would perfectly dial in torso length for either, but several reviews of the women’s model had gals complain the waist belt was too large even fully tightened- if it’s too large for them, definitely too large for my grandson.

Right now I’m looking at the ULA CDT (possibly the smaller Photon)- it’s offered in several torso lengths and you can get it w/ a pretty small waist belt.  It doesn’t have a frame, but both would be normally carrying pretty light loads (sleeping bag/pad/clothing/water/few misc bits).

More ideal would be an adjustable torso pack (with a frame) and an adjustable waist belt that can go small.

Any such pack?

TIA

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

My kids have been using gossamer gear Murmur hyperlight.  12 – 14 years old. They carry all their own gear except food.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I like the Osprey Volt 60. It’s a highly adjustable narrow fitting backpack.  The top can be removed to cut weight as well. I prefer to carry a framed backpack, especially when water carry is involved. Just depends on the type of trip. Frameless backpacks work great for 3 season trips near water.

On a side note: I would gladly give you mine, if you covered the shipping cost ”Im vulnerable when it comes to kids”. I only used it once.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I think a CDT would work well.  In my experience with having my wife, children, and friends of my children share packs, frameless packs do best in your scenario because they’re not as user-specific in fit- there’s nothing to worry about contouring to different users’ bodies like rigid stays or frame sheets.  The fact that they conform to the load gives them versatility in fit.  So as long as the length and waist size are in the ballpark, you should be good.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Garret- thanks for the very generous offer!  Cool pack, but still too big for my grandson, but much appreciated!

Craig- yeah I figure with light loads and infrequent trips, something along the lines of the CDT might work well. I’ve got to get some exact measurements from older daughter on my grandson and then from my youngest daughter for her and see what will fit best. The waist size I think is going to be the crux, as my best guess right now is fairly similar torso lengths.

Mike

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

More money, but if you bumped up to an OHM you could potentially buy two different hipbelts for the same pack?

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

As far as bigger brands go (Osprey, Gregory, REI, etc.), there are plenty of packs that have both adjustable torso lengths and hip belt sizes. Most of the cottage/UL brands just come in S/M/L and “fit” a range of torsos and waists, from what I’ve seen.

I personally have a the Gregory Parragon 58 (older model), and have it dialed in to my body. It’s got the adjustable torso and hip belt and fits oh so nice! I think a backpack that perfectly fits is crucial in comfort. Maybe I’m just being a girl about it and am spoiled. However, most people on here would say it’s too heavy :) True… but it fits both my wife and I, and we have different torso lengths and waist sizes. A sm/med would probably fit both of them well. They also have a new (pricier, but lighter) version out. I tried the Lightning 45 when it was on sale at REI… but just didn’t like how it fit. So, I ended up using the Parragon as a model for measurements with my recent MYOG pack.

As far as UL packs go, the Granite Gear Crown series have the Refit belt (adjustable), but don’t have the adjustable torso.

If the waist sizes are that different between the , I don’t there’s much you can do apart from getting something super adjustable, making your own, or just getting multiple packs.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

The ohm + hip belt replacement would technically cost the same as two seperate CDT backpacks. Really just depends on if you need the extra weight hauling capability that the Ohm offers. Both are excellent choices.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Different sixmoon design packs have a  frame and you can adjust the torso length anywhere from 16″ to 22″ and you can get what ever size hip belt  you need here is an example

The Swift X .

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

OK more options to look at :)

I think if I can get a hip belt to fit my grandson, most don’t have trouble going bigger- and I don’t think it will end up being a ton bigger.

Im getting exact measurements for both, so should give me a lot more accurate info to base the decision on.

Thanks for all the input thus far!

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

My son turned 11 last summer. When looking at packs for him before the summer season, I was also looking to upgrade his REI external frame pack with adjustable torso to something that still had the adjustable torso but did not weight a ton. However, most packs I found were 4 pounds or larger. The best option below 3 lbs we found was the Granite Gear Blaze in Women’s Short both because of its adjustable torso and adjustable belt. But it was essentially still 3 lbs. Somehow, I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that my son’s pack was heavier than either my wife’s or mine.

So I spent more money than on either of our packs and I got a Zpacks Arch Haul with a small frame and a small belt (adult size) in gear swap. It has 4 inches of adjustability, from 15.5″ to 19.5″ from bottom of waistbelt to the shoulder strap attachment without curve in the frame. He loves it. Here are some pics of the pack in use. Some pictures for visual reference.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Nice :)

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

I stand corrected. Apparently Zpacks’ Arc series packs have an adjustable torso as well (with a fancy patent and everything!), and their XS size hipbelt is supposed to fit down to 24″ waists. The hip belts are interchangeable too, but it’s another $45 per.

$350+ (including extra hip belt) is pricey IMO, but hey, if it lasts and can fit two people, seems like a good option too. I will say I’ve never personally used their packs. Always wanted to try, but I’m too cheap :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah these are going to see relatively infrequent use, so probably not going to plop down $400  :)

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I completely understand the financial issue around the Zpacks. If you like the Blaze but cannot find the current model on sale, I would inquire with Granite Gear as to whether the older model Blaze can be retrofitted with the new adjustable hipbelt. Or if the price is right, perhaps just buy hipbelts as needed down the road for that older model.

The other cost effective option was shopping around for an old external. Quite a few can be found in that 3+ to 4.5 pound range for less money than the adjustable internals. Often their hipbelts and shoulder straps aren’t great. Perhaps worth it if you can make some basic crude replacement. eBay should have some options.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools