Topic

Trying to find backpack with built in shoulder strap storage for water and snack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trying to find backpack with built in shoulder strap storage for water and snack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

I was going to buy the Klymit Dash 30 L backpack which had water and snack storage pockets built into the shoulder straps through massdrop, but the massdrop didn’t get enough buyers and it fell through. Klymit doesn’t offer this pack through their website and I can’t find it on Ebay. Does anyone know of any pack between 25 and 35 L which would have built in storage containers on the shoulder straps? I want to store a 500 ml water bottle on each strap along with a couple snacks. I purchased some snap on shoulder strap storage pockets from Mountain Laurel Designs which work ok but they are just a bit too loose and get tangles up easily and sometimes the snaps break loose. If there are not packs with stable built in shoulder strap pockets, is there something else I should consider? Thanks.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The SnapBack son the MLD shoulder strap pockets should not pop open or slide. Weave the daisy chain through the snaplock so it goes over and under the bars of the lock.

ZPacks, Luke’s Ultralight and Zimmerbuilt all make shoulder strap pockets. Maybe you’d like one of their designs better?

Also have you tried just a shockcord loop for holding a bottle?

Ultimate Direction, ULA and others make 20–30 liter running packs with extensive shoulder strap pockets.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

ooh I like the Ultimate Direction Fastpack 31L. Thanks for the recommendations. I go off trail and bush wacking and that’s where I have problems with the snap on shoulder pockets getting in the way or breaking off. I do like the design of the zimmerbuilt water bottle pockets. I may get some to test out.

Endthe S
    BPL Member

@endthestate

I love my Aarn featherlite freedom.  I don’t have to open the main storage (back) of my pack until I’m at camp at the end of the day.  Everything I need I can easily store upfront: stove, food, maps, camera, med kit, etc.  Not to mention my shoulder straps are completely weightless and they float above my shoulders.  Love this pack.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

With a traditional backpack you can add something like the old Dana Design “Wet Rib” pouch that hangs off both of the lower shoulder straps and rides about belly button level. Very handy for things you need fast like a striped, map, compass and snacks and, of course, water bottle.

The “Dry Rib” leaves off the water bottle holder. Seek outside used to make a silnylon version which I now use. They may make you one if you plead enough OR if we get a group buy going.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

That Ultimate Direction Fastpack someone mentioned earlier is being featured on massdrop dot com. It has both snack and water holders on the shoulder straps and come in two sizes: 20 L and 30 L. If enough people go in on the deal, it sells for under $100, much less than the retail price.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools