Topic

TRT Plan 9/28-10/10 (approx)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning TRT Plan 9/28-10/10 (approx)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

I’ve been working on planning a thru hike of the TRT in a couple weeks. Here’s what I’ve got so far.

Outstanding Questions

1. I’m starting in Tahoe City. What are my options for long term parking?
    2. Is the pump still out at Marlette Peak Campground?
    3. Is there water at Kingsbury North now?

Itinerary

9/28 – 14mi tahoe city to watson lake
    9/29 – 17mi watson lake to gray lake
    9/30 – 11mi gray lake to mt rose summit / tahoe meadows
    10/1 – 14.6mi tahoe meadows to marlette peak campground
    10/2 – 16.4mi marlette peak campground to genoa peak
    10/3 – 14.6mi genoa park to south lake tahoe (stateline via van sickle connector)
    10/4 – zero
    10/5 – 9mi van sickle connector to star lake
    10/6 – 19.9mi star lake to meiss meadow / pct
    10/7 – 19.8mi meiss meadow to lake aloha
    10/8 – 21mi lake aloha to miller meadows
    10/9 – 20.9mi miller meadow to tahoe city

Gear List

Lighterpack link: https://lighterpack.com/r/b9dljr. I still have a few small things to address but this is really close.

Nutrition

• Meal 1 will alternate granola w/milk and 2x oatmeal packets w/milk
    • Meal 3 will alternate cheese spread w/crackers and 2x bricks of raw ramen

I’ll be cold soaking my meals. I’m currently testing dehydrating and rehydrating them to make sure everything works as expected. This is a pretty close representation of what I eat every day, but less protein and way more carbs. My general approach with food (day to day, not just when hiking) is to eat things that taste okay but are not super flavorful. This allows me to get a lot of calories in without burning out on meals.

Btw, I am aware of the general bias toward fats in backpacking, but this is wrong. I’m not gonna do that :) I understand the reasoning but it’s not optimal.

Water

Each day will require approximately 1.5-2L water for food.

1. I will carry a 3L Cnoc, along with 1L and 700ml Smartwater bottles, giving me almost 5L.
    2. I’ll cache some at Brockway, Marlette (dependent upon pump status), and Spooner.

Resupplies

I’ll have the opportunity for two nearly evenly spread resupplies. This will allow me to only have to carry 3 days of food at a time until I reach South Lake Tahoe. From then I’ll need five days’ worth to complete the trip.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Tahoe Meadows:</span> I have a cousin in Reno whom I’m meeting here for dinner in Incline Village. I am going to mail her a resupply pack for me.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>South Lake Tahoe:</span> Will take a zero here, meeting my girlfriend on Saturday 10/5. She’ll also have a resupply for me. If I have any gear failures I can have her bring replacements, as well.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I’m jealous. You’re going to have a blast.

I thought the new bathrooms and water fountain at Kingsbury North TH were going to be ready this summer, but I haven’t been up there to confirm. Hopefully someone will chime in.

October at 8K can get pretty cold. You may want to add some fleece gloves and wind/rain bottoms to your clothes. Be sure to sleep with your water filter since temps will surely dip below freezing.

26,800mAh is a lot of battery.

Parking: Can you take transit or get dropped off? I’ve left a car at the Transit Center for a night or two with no problems, but 11 days might be pushing it.

Last day, I’m pretty sure you mean Tahoe City, right?  “10/9 – 20.9mi miller meadow to south lake tahoe”

Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

I thought the new bathrooms and water fountain at Kingsbury North TH were going to be ready this summer, but I haven’t been up there to confirm. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Fortunately I’m good by that point as I’ll be meeting my girlfriend shortly thereafter. I’m going to contact the TRTA – I imagine they can help with most if not all of my questions.

Not having pants is probably my biggest concern, but I have yet to find a solution that works for me. TBD.

Yeah, my battery is quite big and heavy, but I’ll only have one opportunity to recharge it over the two week period.

Thanks for the input! And yeah I meant Tahoe City, heh.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools