Topic

Triple Aught Design Raptor vs OR Foray

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Triple Aught Design Raptor vs OR Foray

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matthew S
    BPL Member

@mpshellenberger

Greetings all – new here.  Looking for some insight for a lighter weight, but breathable rain jacket / lightweight shell.  I already have an Arcteryx Theta AR for ridiculous weather, just looking from something more 3 season based.

I have been doing a lot of reading about Polartec Neoshell which attracts me to the TAD Raptor and I also love their design.  Weighing in at 13 oz is pretty light as well. What attracts me most is the breathability aspect.  I run very hot to begin with and want a shell that will not make me wet out from the inside.  I realize the Goretex 2L Foray is heavier and probably worse in terms of general breathability but the full length side zips are what make me think it could work well for me given the masive amount of mechanical venting one can do.

Appreciate any guidance you all can provide.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

Mechanical venting trumps any membrane for breathability, and the OR torso zips are the best available in a jacket. But you have to think about how often they are going to be closed, or partially closed; if you are rarely using the full torso zip, the material matters a lot more.

OR also has a few jackets that use them, with much better material. Raptor v Foray is not a fair comparison, neoshell v 2L. Try the Furio (gtx 3L, 19oz, $375) or the Skyward (ascentshell 3L, 26oz, $350), both cheaper than the Raptor. I love my Skyward for mechanical and membrane breathability…the ascentshell is OR’s proprietary version of neoshell, with a little more stretch, and it is legit.

If weight is a bigger concern, I would still stick with the ascentshell from OR over neoshell, because OR is fantastic and that material is amazing. They make the Realm jacket, similar feature set to the Raptor, but cheaper ($280 and you can find deals) and lighter (10.9oz size L).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools