Topic

Trip Report, errrrr, Wind Report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trip Report, errrrr, Wind Report

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I will be having fun with this writeup even though the events happened the way I will portray them. It was very windy on the Scenic Point trail in Glacier National Park today (July 7, 2018). High winds are not unusual on this walk but this was too much for me.

Today it was so windy that (drum roll)…

…at times I had to come to a stop and spread my feet about a yard apart to remain standing.
    …at times I had to do as above with the addition of putting one knee on the ground and bracing myself with one hand against a rock.
    …at one point the wind nearly ripped my eyeglasses from my face.
    …at one point I spat and the wind carried the ejection uphill.
    …at one point while walking downhill into the wind my eyes watered so much that my vision was a little blurry.
    …many times my feet did not go where I intended them to go. Ditto with the hiking poles
    …wearing a baseball style cap was out of the question though some people were able to keep hats with chin straps in place.
    …at one point while walking downhill a gust completely stopped my forward motion, intentions be hanged.
    …my hiking partners reported small pebbles being lifted off the ground and striking their legs.

I walked about 2/3 of this short hike then decided it was no longer fun. I retreated to a protected area in the trees and enjoyed watching five nearby sheep including two young’ns eating grass while occasionally circling me. Two of our party of four made it to the Point as did many other hikers. Guess I’m getting wimpy in my old age :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Guess Iā€™m getting wimpy in my old age :)”

Or smart… :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools