Topic

Trip Plans A, B, C, D – suggestions for D?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip Plans A, B, C, D – suggestions for D?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’m working on my big summer hike, minimum 10 days and up to 20, July or August. That’s about as much as I can get away from work without my boss (who is wonderful) wondering if I still want the job (I do, and I’m grateful but it’s a hard balance sometimes).

Plan A was sections I and J of the California PCT, from Echo Lake to Tuolumne, which is now under more snow than I care to think about. I get enough snow, summer is supposed to be sunny and warm and no snow (or almost none). So that is off the table for this year. Too bad – I had it all figured out! Wrong year.

Plan B is the Wonderland Trail. I’ll find out Tuesday if I have a chance at permits. Not optimistic but thought I’d give it a go.

Plan C is the northernmost section of the CDT, probably starting at Benchmark TH and heading north. I’m still working on those logistics; suggestions are welcome. Thinking flying into Great Falls, and out of Kalispell as the most logical entry/exit towns. I don’t think anything would really derail this plan, except wildfires.

Plan D is only needed if B and C end up off the table for some reason. One thought is the 100 mile wilderness in Maine and on up through Mt Katahdin. Any suggestions on a Plan D?

I love the planning stage, but I am so ready for some sun and some warm weather.

(No snow trip suggestions; please don’t try to convince me how lovely snow is. I’ve posted a photo both for fun and so that you can see I get enough snow. This is my existence for 7 months a year. I don’t mind crossing a high elevation snowfield here or there, but prefer not to wallow in the stuff for two weeks of summer.)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Glacier Peak Wilderness in Wa. state. Easier to get a permit than Rainier and arguably as spectacular. But…the PNW is having a big snow year, I would think…maybe not?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a scenery snob. One of the few trip reports that totally blew my socks off the last couple of years was Dan Durston’s Great Divide Trail video series. What absolutely eye-wateringly beautiful country. Just wow.

Great Divide Yo-yo

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Oh lordy Phillip…there’s a lot of snow and wet in those reports. take my word for it…Granola doesn’t want snow. For good reason. I’m still a bit bruised in that regard…

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I would think much of the Sierra will be good hiking by mid-August… high passes will have snow all year, but boot-tracked… but hard to know for sure… watch the park service trail reports thru July into August…

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Oh lordy Philip…there’s a lot of snow and wet in those reports.

Yes, I’m aware. But I believe those videos are from June and the OP stated their timeline as being July or August. Living in coastal AK I know there is a huge difference in alpine snowpack between those months. Like Hoth vs Tatooine (wink).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

+1 for the Star Wars reference

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The other factor affecting plans is wildfire smoke.  It can vary even day to day so having several plans is useful.

I usually do a Three Sisters trip but last year it was always smoky.

I’ve only done bits of the Wonderland Trail but it’s so busy.  If you’re lucky you can get a trip reserved, but you have to specify particular camps each night.  If you’re more or less tired on a particular day you can’t modify your plan.

There are good 10 or 20 day trips in Olympic National Park, the Wallowas, and in Idaho across the Snake River.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Have you given any thought of doing some adventuring in the Mid West or East in the Lower 48?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

We are committing to Plan C! Going to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Seriously, it looks like a go. The Sierra look beautiful but awful for this year, and the Wonderland lottery is like Powerball, a waste of time and money; didn’t get it. For Plan C – the CDT in Montana, I have to redo the miles and make sure my estimates are on target and not 50 miles short or over, and we’ll make a plan. Logistics are the hardest with Plan C, getting to and from trailheads but we’re working that out.

It’s nice to have something in place. I wish I had more time…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools