Topic

Trip out of Mineral King 8/16

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip out of Mineral King 8/16

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

We changed our permit from the Rae Lake Loop because of the the bridge being out.  We will leave from Timber Gap through Redwood Meadow, Bearpaw Meadow over Kaweah Gap to Little Five Lakes, Big Five Lakes, over  Franklin Pass  and  to Franklin Lake then out.

Does anyone have current updates.  SEKI site has updates form 7/21.  I spoke with the backcountry office yesterday and the ranger said that is the most current update.  She did state that the mosquitoes will be bad at the Little and Big Five Lakes area.  I am most concerned with creek crossings, Kaweah Gap, and Franklin Pass and Black Rock Pass.  I don’t plan on going over Black Rock Pass unless we need to bail or fall behind.  The Ranger said that going over Black Rock Pass will be better than Sawtooth Pass.

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Thanks

Eric

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I posted a TR on Mineral King from 7/20-24.  You might read that.  Creek crossings that we encountered were never more than calf high.  Passes that were ice Axe and crampons two weeks ago are now being hiked (or hiked around) without much trouble.  You should be fine, but don’t be stupid.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools