Topic

Trip ideas march 3 weeks anywhere in world

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trip ideas march 3 weeks anywhere in world

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    BPL Member

@gudmond

I have a window of about 3 weeks to hike and a lot of airline miles and I wanna take advantage of it. I’m unsure of where to go at this time of year as it seems to be in middle of seasons. I’d want to be camping as much as possible. Ideas I’ve had was going to New Zealand South Island to do Richmond range but I think it’s late in the season. Or maybe going to UK to do south west coastal path or maybe Portugal. Any suggestions?

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

Hi! If you are looking for good weather, the Canary Islands, perhaps La Gomera, El Hierro, La Palma. And if it rains you can choose Fuerteventura.

Australia and Canyonlands NP can also be a good idea

https://www.mapa.gob.es/es/desarrollo-rural/temas/caminos-naturales/caminos-naturales/sector-canario/

cheers

Larry M
    BPL Member

@packitout-2

The Drakensberg range of mountains in South Africa & Lesotho. April & May are excellent (it is autumn there at that time of year).

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The bigger issues I’d see are:
    1) to use airline miles for foreign travel, you sometimes have to make reservations 330 days in advance.

2) some of the coolest hikes, like in New Zealand, require you be online, at 8 am NZ time, 6 months prior and type really quickly.

But locations in March:

It’s dry season in Costa Rica.

It’s wild flower season in Death Valley.  The expansion of the park into Saline Valley includes some (hippie-infested) hot springs.

I like central and southern Italy in early Spring (but always seem to end up there in August due to other people’s schedules, marriages, World Masters, etc).  Any of the GR routes in southern Europe.  Manfred did GR-20 on Corsica with his daughter and wrote it up on BPL

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I used to do March trips in West Texas. You probably won’t get three weeks there though. I’d assume the entire American southwest would be worth a look excluding the high elevation areas.
    You could probably do something more “exotic” but hiking a big section of the AT would be a fun low stress option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools