Topic

Tried La Sportiva Akyra- they’re a no go :(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tried La Sportiva Akyra- they’re a no go :(

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve been wearing La Sportiva Akashas now for about 4-5 years- not sure how many pairs I’ve been through, but roughly 2-3 pairs/year.  Evidently La Sportiva has discontinued them- sadly.  But I had renewed hope when I read about the Akyra- sturdy outsole w/ good traction and a roomy toe box- hallelujah!

Finally found some on sale and purchased a pair.  Tried them on this evening and right away I noticed they were longer (same size) than the Akasha.  The outsole does look great, more aggressive than the Akasha, and the foot is a little better protected- underneath and at the toes.  But the Aklyra does NOT have a wide toe box :(

Side by side of an Akasha (right) and Akyra (left)- you can see it’s slightly longer (not a big deal, I’d just order one size smaller), but you can also the Akyra toe box tapers a lot more than the Akasha- sadly that’s a deal breaker.

I do have four new spare pairs so I’m good for awhile, but the search will continue for a replacement or maybe they’ll bring the Akasha back :)

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

I had the same issue.  I have a wide fore foot.  I also had to size down a half size.  Right before I went to return them, I took out the flimsy insole and that solved the problem instantly.  So far I have used them in the Canyonlands, the Wind River and Pukaskwa with zero issues.  They are phenomenal shoes… once you ditch the inserts.  They are far more burly than the Akasha underfoot.

Other options are the La Sportiva Jackals and the Lycan 2.  They both have a wide toe box.  If you like the Lycan 2, I would grab ‘em cause I heard they were being replaced.  I would say the Lycan has a wider toe box than the Akasha.

Good luck.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah- shoes feel funny to me w/o an insole :)  they do have an incredible outsole, more geared to hiking/backpacking than running imo

good to know on the Lycans, will definitely check them out (Jackals as well)- thanks!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Posting to follow and commiserate.

I too have used Akashas pretty much exclusively on my off-trail adventures for the last 4-5 years.

Why, oh why, La Sportiva?

You are in a better position than I am, Mike; when I realized the Akashas were discontinued, I tried to stock up, but was only able to secure two pairs, one of which never made it to my house. The single pair I did receive has been dutifully chewed up on Sierra granite this summer.

I’m going to give the Ultra Raptors, Mutants, and Akyras a shot. Now maybe the Lycans and Jackals, too (thanks Rog!).

Anyhow, I’m starting with the Ultra Raptors, which are on their way to my house now. I used to use the Ultra Raptors back in my glued-to-the-trail days, and liked those then, so I know the fit is good.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Luckily the Akyras fit me well – my feet prefer a wider toebox in general but the Akyras are quite comfortable for my feet. Indeed they’re pretty burly and I primarily use them for off-trail adventures but as noted above I wouldn’t run in them – too clunky!

If the Ultra Raptors fit your feet, you should be fine in the Akyras – I have the same size in both and my feet prefer the Akyras. The other plus is that the Akyras are definitely more durable than the Ultra Raptors.

I was considering getting a pair of Akashas but it looks like that’s not to be.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ve tried both the Ultra Raptors and Mutants (this was before the Akasha) and while both were well constructed and had nice outsoles- they were too narrow in the toe box for me- ymmv.

The Lycans look a little lighter than what I need, the Jackals- closer.  I’ll keep an eye out for a sale and give them a shot.

BTW if anyone wants to give the Lycan I’s a shot- Sierra Trading post has a pretty good selection for only $59

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

The Akyra is close to being the greatest shoe ever, and completely unwearable for me. I’ve bought three pairs and sold them on each time cuz of that pointy toe box.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I have a narrow foot and the Bushido and Ultra Raptor fit my feet well. I have a pair of Lycans that are roomier throughout than both shoes. I use them for trail running and on-trail hiking, the fit isn’t secure enough (for me) for off trail travel. They have a nicely cushioned midsole and see to be fairly well constructed. Even if you have a wider foot, I’m not sure the Lucan is built to have the secure fit of the other shoes being discussed. The Lucan II looks to have a slightly deeper lug pattern than my originals, which have a very shallow tread design.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

The Akyra is close to being the greatest shoe ever, and completely unwearable for me. I’ve bought three pairs and sold them on each time cuz of that pointy toe box.

yeah- what a shame :(

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Hey Mike,

if you can get over the no insert issue you might find they work for ya.  I have been an Ultra Raptor user for as long as they have been around.  Before actually when they were the Lynx.  It took me about 15 minutes using a thin Smartwool Ultralight Sock.  Ever since then, I have always wore the Raptors, Akashas, Lycan and now the Akyra without footbeds and I no longer notice.

The Akyra is the ultimate shoe that prevents foot fatigue.  The Raptors were too spongy and my feet always felt it.  Never an issue with the Akyra.  Just to let you know how wide my forefoot is… I have a gap between my big piggy and the next toe for a 6th toe!!!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my “problem” is that all my toes are the same length as my big toe (except the smallest toe)- so I need a lot of wiggle room- my Mom called them Irish toes :)

if there is much of any taper (point) to the toe box, I’ll rub

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

This narrow toe-box issue is so frustrating – as the proud owner of spade-shaped feet 95% of the shoes on the market are a no-go for me.

Manufacturers, here’s a radical idea: how about you starting making shoes that match the shape of the human foot?

A lot of the current designs simply beggar understanding – just who has a foot shaped like that Akyra?

Maybe we should set up a Kickstarter to fund CAFSS – the Campaign for Foot Shaped Shoes!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

they made one (Akasha) but decided it would be in their best interest to discontinue it and come out with a more stylish, pointy toe one :)

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

BTW I love the Topo Athletics shoes. My daily driver is a Terraventure (the original one, I bought 4 pairs off REI outlet for $59 a pop) – I use them for both trail running and on trail hikes. I also have a pair of Terraventure 2 – it is somewhat beefier than the Terraventure and I use it for longer trail runs, longer hikes and on-trail backpacking trips when I’m carrying a lighter pack.

Most Topo Athletic shoes have a roomy toebox and they’re well constructed and they fit my feet well. Worth checking out if you have wider feet/toes.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Mike,

Have you ever considered the La Sportiva TX3 approach shoe.  They are known for their generous toe box, even for an approach shoe.  I have buddies in Colorado who swear by them.  Use them for long approaches and backpacking.  That is a possibility.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I have not; had never heard of them even :)  I might have to give those a go- I did find a 44.5 Akasha on eBay yesterday, so my stash is now a little larger

in regards to Topo- two of my buddies have owned a couple of pairs- they loved the fit, but both have returned several pairs to premature failures; enough so they’ve given up on them

a recent thread here mentioned the same with one of their lightweight boots

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I had a pair of the TX3 before I got the Akyra – decent for off-trail hikes and approaches but pretty hard on the feet due to the stiff sole. If the Akyra doesn’t fit you, it’s unlikely the TX3 will work at all. The Akyra is much more comfortable than the TX3.

I’ve had decent luck with Topo Athletic shoes – they’re not the most durable but good enough for my purposes. Never wear the trail versions on streets – nothing kills them faster. That said I switched to the Topos after really bad experiences with the Altra Lone Peak – several of their early versions – they just fell apart with minimal trail use. Compared to the Altra shoes the Topos are much more durable and well made.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

I posted this yesterday.  Pictures of my 6 week old topo Trailventures.  I think gluing a thin, complex shape Vibram outsole to the midsole seems to be a bad idea.  Also, I have never experienced such rapid wear to a vibram outsole. The wear pattern to the lugs pretty much eliminated traction during descents on steep, loose scree and dirt.  Some of the local REI staff gathered around to look at these when I returned them.  On Tuesday, I will drive over to the La Sportiva store in Boulder and see if they have something that might work for me.  RIP Terraventure.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“Pictures of my 6 week old topo Trailventures.”

…..

“RIP Terraventure.”

Two different shoes: Trailventure and Terraventure.

I for one have had excellent experience with both the Terraventure and the Terraventure2.

Beyond the La Sportiva TX3, Akyra and Salomon models most trail runners I’ve worn off trail on rough talus/scree were totally trashed after a trip or two. The list is long: Altra Lone Peak, Brooks Cascadia, Caldera etc. and many more.

Would love to hear experiences with shoes (not heavy boots) that survive talus/scree etc. for extended periods of time. There have to be more that work well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ my (many) Akasha’s faired very well off trail, including talus/scree in both grip and longevity- La Sportiva has the rock thing down pretty well- they just need to work on the fit thing (or bring back the Akasha!)

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I should have been clearer that I know that most La Sportiva models do great.

I’d love to learn about other shoe brands that perform close enough to that.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Ped:  Sorry for the typo.  It is Trail and not Terra.  However, the Terraventure might be a good alternative for me.  I have been hiking in Lowa Baffin Pro boots for a while.  I use them a couple of years and send them to the manufacturer to be refurbished.  I would like to retire them and generally rely on trail runner type shoes.  It is not clear how practical that will be once winter arrives, but I will see.  I have used various Altras and they have not provided adequate foot protection or durability.  The Trailventure was initially excellent until after a month I found they were loosing traction and discovered the lugs were worn away and the outsole was detaching itself from the shoe.  In any case, I hope that a La Sportiva model can fit  my foot, offer adequate protection on the trail and offer sufficient comfort or, it will be on to something else.  I don’t mind replacing shoes a couple times a years.  4 good weeks is not going to cut it.

Hi Mike:  Did a double take when I looked at the photo.  In Colorado, the trees are located well below the scree. But your comments on La Sportiva are encouraging.  They have their US store here so I expect I can get good advice there and also good selection of what they offer.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ if you can get a pair that fits, then you’ll probably be pretty happy; La Sportiva has their rubber compounds down pat- obviously some trade off between grip and durability, but they do a great job of balancing both

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Mike, you could try the Jackal. https://www.irunfar.com/2020/05/la-sportiva-jackal-review.html/amp

Otherwise, stocking up on Akasha.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jackal is on my short list to try :)  There is a common complaint on the Jackal that the upper heel cup irritates the achilles; some said after 50-100 miles this portion gets broken in and not a problem.

Getting harder and harder to find Akasha’s- you can purchase them from Europe, but at an extravagant price- too extravagant a price for me.  Out of the dozen + pairs I’ve purchased, most have been in the $70-80 range; if I had a crystal ball I would have bought a dozen more!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools