Topic

Tried an Exos 48 hated it… What next?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tried an Exos 48 hated it… What next?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If you are looking for a suspended mesh back band, the mesh on the newer Ospreys is strung too tight, so tight that much of the benefit of suspended mesh is lost.

But you have to try on such packs to see if the mesh is loose enough to mold to your back.
    The older Osprey moldable full hip belt was great for adding to mesh backband packs.
    Very comfortable, lighter and better fitting than REI brand belts, but REI also carries a variety of the Osprey belts on its website.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

For what it’s worth I have the Exos 38 and I like it a lot. It fits more than enough for a multiday trip and even a bear canister. I just worry about how delicate it feels…

I have to wonder… Have you looked at the smaller Gregory packs with a suspended mesh? They have a different system and it seems like it sits closer to the back.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

I think Steve brings up a good point re: Gregory. I forgot to mention I have a Gregory Z40 , and while the pack is a tad heavy for my backpacking taste nowadays, it’s suspended mesh and load transfer is awesomely comfortable.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Thanks for the feedback, I have decided to try an SMD Fusion 50. Its my first kick at the cottage pack can so to speak. I picked this one because it seems to focus on the structure of the carry as a key component. I’ll see how it goes. Fortunately I still have some time to find the perfect bag. I should mention I have no particular interest in a mesh back panel. The only reason I chose the Exos to start was that it was the only lightweight pack available in my locale.

Will report back.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Well I received the Fusion 50 (last years model) and of course proceeded to pack it up with 35lbs of stuff for a fit test run. Verdict: Better than the Exos by a fair margin but not nearly as comfy as the Atmos AG… I guess that thing has spoiled me now… Wondering about how much weight I can drop off the Atmos if I start snipping out bits and pieces ;)

I really like the Fusion adjustability as I can dial in the fit but I have a hard time believing it could handle north of 30lb comfortably… One thing I think they should have done is run the upper portion of the shoulder harness through the stay like Exped’s Lighting line. It applies pressure point to the lumbar and front upper shoulders.

I may prefer bags that cover the whole back vs ones that have point contacts or…Just be expecting too much from a UL pack…

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Pack search update and question. I have now tested out 7 packs and have come to some conclusions:

1. I prefer packs that sit close to my body (suspended systems even shallow ones (like Gregory) still pull my COG uncomfortably for me.
    2. Hipbelts that are directly attached to the body of the pack and in particular the frame seem to transfer load better to the hips, similarly the more structured they are (assuming they fit) the better still they do at this. suppose this is an obvious thing.
    3. Also obviously some structure seems to really help with weight transfer.

With the exception of the shoulder harness which was horrid I really liked the BD Element 60 the frame and hipbelt were perfect. Ruined only by a bizarrely uncomfortable shoulder harness.

I also really like the Boreas Lost Coast 60 but neither the medium or small was the right fit.

I am now testing a ULA Circuit. Its quite comfortable too there are not odd pressure points but the belt and rear “saggy bottom” is at its limit for sure at about 30ish lbs. I’m not yet sure if I would be comfortable with it for any distance at that weight. Especially since I had to raise the belt a bit to accommodate my torso which makes its bottom more pronounced. Given the very floppy belt and seemingly lack of any rigidity of the belt to frame (or lack thereof) at the bottom of the pack I’m surprised its as comfortable as it is in the 25-28lb range.

So another questions if I may: Who has had a Circuit loved the fit and general comfort and found something like it that maybe had a bit more structure to the belt and lower frame? That it could accommodate 35lb’s + without sagging. Also that could adjust torso size at the harness vs the belt?

Maybe the Granite Gear Blaze? I’ve read that the panel can push into ones lower back on that one…

Thanks!

-Michael

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Not sure why you are having problems with the Circuit. I have packed a Bearikade Weekender and all my gear in mine (not what I would call ultralight, but still below 40 lbs), without any sagging anywhere. I don’t like the weight of a week of food but at least it gets lighter as I go.

I do have to be careful to drop the can lower in the pack, putting soft items around it. Semi-framed packs can be like framless, the gear becomes part of the pack support. And then I have to tighten the hip belt and straps just so, to keep the weight on the hips rather than letting it pull on either the shoulders or the collar bones.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Can you post pictures of what you mean by the saggy bottom of the circuit?  one of the reasons why I ended up selling mine was because it was TOO rigid for my comfort.  Same with the hip belt – it’s one of the most rigid and structured hip belts out there…..

Are you sure you have it adjusted correctly?

My first JMT I used a circuit and I ended up with 38 pounds coming out of MTR (UGH! THAT was painful!) and the pack was absolutely fine.  My muscles were not, but only because it was so damned heavy.  The pack itself never sagged – it held up beautifully.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks Lori and Jennifer,

Jennifer you think the hip belt is rigid? Really? Unlike say something like the Element 60 where the frame wraps all the way around and the belt attaches to the bag and seems to make a direct connection to the frame. The Circuit is just a floppy piece of cloth. I’ll try to illustrate below.

Here the belt; floppy like.. well like a couple of layers of Cordura say…

Here is what I mean when the pack is on the belt shift up while the bag slide down. Again because of the lack of direct connection to the bag/frame and lack of belt stiffness this is relatively easy to have happen.

Here is the belt on the Element 60 I can fold it over but with some type of stiffener inside its much more difficult. Additionally unlike the Circuit when I push up on the belt the whole bag what to go with it, so I could not actually illustrate any distortion of the belt independent of the bag. Does that make sense?

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

“Here is what I mean when the pack is on the belt shift up while the bag slide down. Again because of the lack of direct connection to the bag/frame and lack of belt stiffness this is relatively easy to have happen.”

I’ve had 3x Circuits over the years and never experienced the belt folding or becoming uncomfortable. I haven’t loaded it over 35+lbs though…. For most lightweight packs you actually want less stiffness in the belt because you want it to naturally curve around your lliac crest. This makes for less pressure points. Also, the ‘floppy’ part of the circuit hipbelt you’re showing is one of it’s greatest advantages. That lets your hips roll independently from the pack and it’s incredible how well it works. Load up the pack and bend side-to-side and you’ll see what I mean (then compare to your BD pack). The belt will allow your lower body unlimited natural movement while still keeping the main body of the pack in the center of your back without canting. When you hike you’ll notice the ULA packs work with you as your body moves, not against.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks Nick. Well may just have to give is a shot and see, I do find it generally comfortable but like mentioned before at the north of 30lb range the bottom of the pack droops and is more noticeably rubbing against my well.. butt. I can’t say it would be an issue on trail as I haven’t tried it out there yet :) I also have a medium and had to raise the belt some so that drops the bottom of the pack lower already again further accentuating that feeling back there.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

There should be some serious velcro in there that attaches the belt to that slot – it’s how you adjust the size of the circuit.  Do you not have that in there???

Mine does NOT at all slide up and down.  As a matter of fact, I about tore my knuckles off from that velcro trying to get it to move to adjust the size….

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools